• 38 •

It's Going To Be A Long Night

Sam was the one to drive me to the end of the National Park. Paul was reluctant about leaving me alone to hike with Bella and Edward, but he knew his own presence wouldn't do much help with me leaving a trail.

I changed into fresh clothes and brought a small bag with basic essentials for the hike. Paul said that he would pack another bag for the campsite tonight.

"Be careful, okay?" Sam warned as he put his truck into park.

I gleefully reassured him. "I'm always careful."

I had tried to get out of the car, but Sam stopped me and laid his hand to my shoulder. "Luna, I'm serious. I know the pack acts cool and reassured, but we can't help but worry about you."

I settled back into the seat, all thought of the hike vanishing from my mind. "Sam, I promise, I'll be as careful as long as you guys are."

He gave me a smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"What? What is it?" I pressed, knowing he was more troubled than he was letting on.

"I don't know if you knew, but worrying about all of you guys is a little stressful." Sam laughed, this time the happiness was genuine.

"Worrying about a group of teenage boys? I don't see any reason for the concern."

"Yeah, but when you add the younger sister of the group to the mix, that causes a whole other load of problems."

My heart warmed at the notion of Sam considering me a younger sister, but then it clicked that he was saying I was as rowdy as the boys.

I swatted his arm, "Hey now, that is uncalled for."

"Bye Luna," Sam spoke, unlocking the doors.

As soon as I stepped out, Bella approached me. "You ready?" She asked, giving me a grim smile.

I nodded, and immediately took note of Edward hovering a distance away- he also had a backpack slung around his shoulders.

"He doesn't want to mix scents," Bella explained and shrugged, "guess it's just you and me."

"Just like old times?" I offered an encouraging reminiscence while we begun to walk through the woods.

We begun walking through, every so often Bella and I would separate on the account of various trees getting in the way. At every outstretched branch leaf, Bella and I would gently rub our hands across it, ensuring that our scent would be left.

While we all knew the horrors that we were encountering tomorrow, the hike was actually very serene. With every breath of fresh air and the light snap of dried twigs beneath my feet, my nerves were disappearing.

I pressed on, enjoying the fact that I once again get to explore the woods surrounding my neighborhood. Since moving to La Push, there had always been a threat of a vampire lurking in the shadows, and account of what happened with Laurent, I couldn't blame Paul for being over protective.

Thankfully Edward was still here, silently following besides us. He stayed just near enough to be visible to Bella and me- as physically seeing him was the only indication he was still here. I was surprised at how quiet he was trailing through the woods. I know vampires are stealthy, but I would think the enormous amount of leaves, twigs, and pine needles would get him to make some sort of sound.

Bella broke the silence, the pleasant veil of tranquility crashing to the ground.

"Hey so you're parents know about everything?" She questioned.