• 34 •

Ms. Beverly Hills

"So your mom and sister are coming?" 

Paul nodded and continued to focus on the road "Yeah, they get in tomorrow morning." He mumbled.

"How's your dad handling it?" 

"I mean they're staying with us for the weekend so he's pretty cool about it, he's more worried about them finding out our secret. He's been debating on if we should tell them, but I think it's  a bad idea. I haven't seen both of them in years and it would just complicate everything." 

The whole situation seemed to be weighing down on Paul and with his graduation so close, I needed to ensure he was nothing but happy. 

"Hey let's change the subject," I smiled, "are you excited for summer break; never having to wake up for high school again?"

Paul did smile and shrugged, "Yeah, but you're still gonna suffer for another year, kinda wish i'd be with you still."

"don't blame me. You're the one into younger girls" I smiled and for some reason thinking of Paul's age had another question dawn on me. "When did you shift for the first time-? Like what happened?"

"Well I was the second one to shift, a few months after Sam. And honestly, I don't really know- I always had a temper before I shifted but it was never that bad. But one day, I had just gotten really angry for no reason and yelled at a teacher before ditching class for the rest of the day. My anger kept getting worse and worse and that's when I shifted in the woods. Sam was patrolling and immediately heard me."

"Do you remember when you shifted?"

He nodded, "Yeah, I like to think of it as my wolf birthday- it was October 15th ."

Warning bells flashing in my mind as soon as that date left Paul's mouth. It burned vividly in my mind from the countless times I told the police my statement, when I spoke my experience aloud in a courtroom.

October 15th was the day Carter threatened me for the first time.

"What..." Paul picked up on my mood easily, "what is it?"

"October 15th of two years ago?" I specified.

"Yeah?" Paul agreed.

"Oh my god," I whispered, sinking into the carseat. This couldn't be a coincidence right? Paul shifted from unexplainable anger the day that I was marked into my unspeakable hell.

"Your silence is really killing me here," Paul strained, looking from the road, to me, and then back.

"October 15th was the first day Carter threatened me," I spoke, still trying to piece together this puzzle.

"Wait, wait, wait-" Paul's clipped tone caused me to look at him, "you're saying the day I shifted is when that bastard started threatening you?"

"Yeah, that was the day I got one of the first notes in my locker," I looked back, "is that a coincidence..? I don't.. I don't get it." 

Paul's grip on the steering wheel tightened as his narrowed eyes focused on the road, "Neither do I." 

"Maybe a wolf and their imprint are linked before they meet," I pondered this newfound possibility. "It's just something like that is too crazy to not be a coincidence." 

"Well I can tell you, I'm happy we just finally met," he let out a small smirk, "I remember your first day at school, I was trying so hard for you to look at me, because I swore I could feel something. Then you being difficult you refused to even spare me a glance."