Chapter 7

You sat on the ground in thought the bento in your hands. "It didn't work..." You muttered gripping the edges of the plastic box. "Well, not everything is going to work perfectly get over yourself," Kouki said opening the bento. You glanced up at Haia who tried to wiggle out of the ropes. "I'm sorry I messed up..." She apologized looking at the ground in shame.

Kouki was to distract Kakashi while Haia snuck around to a tree behind him. You would quickly set up a trap and hide nearby. Kouki would have Kakashi walk under the hidden trap then Haia would throw a kunai that you would hit with another to set off the trap. Which was just a basic net with fake leaves held up by strings. When it dropped Kakashi would have a hard time moving. Giving Kouki an opening to grab the bells.

What went wrong was Haia threw the kunai too early causing you do not have enough time to deflect it. Kakashi used the substitution jutsu and appeared behind Haia. She fell off and Kouki tried to catch her but couldn't carry her and the two fell. You attempted to get the bells yourself but failed. Kouki suggested to Haia to try and take the lunches but she got caught, now being tied to the log.

Kakashi took the three of you to where you were now and pointed out all of what you did wrong. You assumed it still looked like you weren't working together. After saying he would send you back to the academy he gave you and Kouki a bento, then using the body flicker technique to disappear.

"It's fine." You said to the girl. 'We can still pass the same way team seven will.' You thought and opened the bento holding it out to Haia. "Here, we all need to gain our strength to try again. Especially you Haia, I could tell you've been affected the most from skipping breakfast." You explained and the girl shook her head. "Katsumi what the hell are you doing?! This will just bring our chances down worse by disobeying him!" Kouki said in a quiet but angry voice incase Kakashi was around.

"So? I'd rather fail than ignore Haia's health." Picking up some of the rice in your chopsticks you held it out for Haia. She looked at you unsure before eating the rice. A cloud of smoke appeared and Kakashi walked out from it. "YOU-" Haia looked terrified at the Jonin the color draining from her face while Kouki backed away in shock of the sudden sound of thunder.

You looked boredly at Kakashi who paused after saying the first half of his sentence in an angry voice. "-passed." He said, finishing his sentence. Haia and Kouki stared in disbelief before realizing what he had said. "We passed?!" Haia asked with a smile and tears starting to roll down her cheeks. "I thought I was going to die!" She said with a laugh and you pulled out a kunai cutting the ropes.

"I told you to trust me." You said and turned to Kouki who crossed his arms stubbornly. "If you're looking for an apology you're not getting one." You rolled your eyes. "I'm the one who planned the whole thing." Kouki shrugged and looked at Kakashi. "So do we get to do a real mission tomorrow?" He asked eagerly.

"Well, you did pass so its only fair," Kakashi said and Kouki looked at him curiously. "How did we pass anyway?" The pink haired boy asked. "Teamwork, even though I pitted you against each other you still worked together. And did fairly well, to be honest. Especially Katsumi, you disobeyed me and broke the rules to take care of Haia. In the ninja world, those who break the rules are scum, that's true, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum." Haia again looked at the Jonin with the samne admiration.

"Kakashi-sensei is so cool!" She squealed and Kouki shrugged. "He's okay." You sighed and started walking back towards the village. "It's going to be dark soon, lets go." Haia smiled and ran up to you. She hugged you and you nearly fell over. She let you go and said sorry several times before thanking you, "Thank you Katsumi. I know I'm not near as talented as you or Kouki but I try to at least be of use to the team by helping and i really screwed up..." She trailed off with a quiet laugh. "So again thanks for not forgetting about me. And getting us to pass." You nodded with a small smile before being bear hugged again by Haia.You looked over her shoulder to see Kakashi who chuckled. You awkwardly stood in the hug until Haia let go and grabbed your hand, pulling you along to the village.

~~~

​I apologize for a short chapter, the next will be longer and a lot more eventful. Usually, if there is a short chapter you can expect something dramatic in the next.