Chapter 1

Toby's POV

I saw her lying there. Her hands held his as her forehead rested against their hands. His lifeless body was in the hospital bed. The only sounds were the heart monitor beating, and the women's sobs.

I'd seen it several times now. Not that I'm heartless but working as a doctor in a hospital, you pretty much see everything. People die everyday. People learn they have terminal illness's. It's inevitable. I used to want to be a doctor to save people, to help people, to care for them. Now, I just did what I could. I didn't beat myself up when another patient of mine died. So when I saw her, it didn't bother me. I almost felt bad that I'm the doctor, because I don't have as much sympathy as I used to. Again, I said I almost felt bad.

I cleared my throat waiting for her to realize I was there.

She snapped her head up. Her eyes swollen, she asked, "Is he going to be ok?"

It's always the first question. "It's hard to say."

"What do you mean? Aren't you a doctor? You're supposed to know these kinds of things!" She nearly shouted at me.

"The brain is unpredictable. Believe me ma'am, I wish I could give you an exact answer," I said politely. I knew she would get angry with me. They expect us to be as powerful as God. But we can only do so much.

"Well what can you tell me then?" She rolled her eyes.

"The car accident caused a lot of damage. His body will heal with time. His brain... Like I said it's unpredictable. There's a chance that he could wake up a couple weeks from now and need minimal therapy or..." I always hated saying the alternative.

"Or what?" She ground her teeth together.

"Or... He could be brain dead. For life," I said coldly.

She turned away from me and covered her mouth. I waited as she had a moment to cry. I was used to this, like I said. I wish I had it in my heart to console her, but I don't.

She turned her head back to me, "so what are my options?"

"Right now, not much. We will wait a few days and see if his brain activity increases," I said looking at my chart.

"And if it doesn't?" Her voice cracked.

She was strong. Most people would be in denial. They try and avoid the worst. "Then his family has a decision to make."

Her eye's filled with tears, "So his life is in their hands?"

"Yes," I answer again.

She's quiet. I can tell she's thinking. "Are you family?" I ask.

"No," she slowly shakes her head. "We were supposed to get married in 36 day's."

I nod my head in understanding, "Do you have any more questions?"

"No. It all seems pretty clear." She looks at me coldly, like I'm to blame.

"Alright, I will be back before my shift is over. If you think of anything feel free to ask," I start to head out the door.

"Wait," She stops me.

"Hmm?" I pop my head back in the door.

"You're different," she says.

"How?" I ask curiously, taking a step closer.

"Do you even care?" Her tears stream down her face. "Or can you at least pretend to?"

I don't really know how to respond to that. Instead I look down at my chart at a loss for words. I look at her, and then I look at him. It's the same familiar feeling, nothing. I turn around and walk to my next patients room.

Spencer's POV

"He was so... Empty," I explained to the nurse, Katherine. "Is he always like that? Was he like hung-over or something?"

"Maybe, but he's always like that," she shrugged.

"I'm not sure if I want him to be the doctor. I want someone who care's. Someone who will do anything to keep my fiancée alive," I held onto Adam's hand.

"He may not care but he's the best doctor in this hospital. I've never seen a doctor like him. He's so smart and he knows exactly what to do. Honestly the only reason's his patients die is because they don't have a chance. You want , he's a miracle worker," Katherine placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Your sure?" I look into her eye's. "He's the best thing for Adam?"

"I would trust Dr. Cavanaugh with my life. I've worked with him for two years, he's better than the doctors with decade's of experience," she assured me.

"Thanks for listening," I try to smile.

"Anytime," She smiles. "It's going to be tough. But I'm here and you've got a great team to do the best for Adam."

"Thank you, I appreciate everything you have done," I try to hold my smile as she exit's the room.

It's so hard to look at Adam. Not only his injuries but his face. There were many time's I watched as Adam slept. I remember his face when he would be dreaming. But now... it was like there was nothing going on in his head. His face looked so empty. I tried to convince myself that I saw his mouth twitch, but I know it was my imagination.

I couldn't stop thinking about the doctor. He was really irritating me. How could he be a doctor when he doesn't even care about his patients? Or even pretend for their families sake? But if Katherine say's he's the best there is... Then I guess I'm stuck with him.

Toby's POV

I enter Adam's room, my last check before I go home. I immediately walk over to the computer. I check his heart rate, brain activity, etc. "It's the same," I say knowing she's about to ask me.

"Are you going home?" She looks straight ahead, not at me.

"Yeah, I'll be back in the morning. Dr. Rust is on the floor tonight. If you want to talk to him, he will be available," I log out and head for the door.

"Can I ask you something?" She hesitates.

"Sure," I turn around to face her.

"What do you think will happen?" She paused again. "I don't want your professional opinion. I want you personal opinion. You've seen this happen before, what are his chances?"

She want's my personal opinion? "You don't want my personal opinion," I answer simply.

"Yes I do," she fires back.

"No. You don't," I shake my head. "Because you won't like my answer." I turn around before I can hear her cry. Before she gets mad at me. Before I can feel any sorrow.

I check my phone I have a text from Amber.

Hey want to me come over tonight? -Amber

I couldn't remember which one she was. I had many women in my bed. Every night a different girl. They all tried to get in my heart by getting into my bed. It's really cruel of me to make them believe they have a chance.