Chapter 16

Toby's POV

It was funny how I kept finding ways to talk to Spencer. I wasn't ready to give up on her. And honestly I don't think I'll ever be ready to. I wasn't going to give up until she said 'I do' to another man. And hopefully that day will never come.

"Dr. Cavanaugh," Katherine poked her head in my office.

"What's up?" I said still looking at my computer screen.

"Just checking on you," she closed the door behind her.

"Why?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Because you've been depressed for months now since..." She didn't need to finish that sentence for me to understand. "Anyways just making sure you aren't too sad."

"I'm perfect," I smiled at her.

She stared at me for a long moment. "What's going on? Why are you smiling?"

"Nothing," I said honestly. "I've just come to a realization."

"And that is?"

"I'm going to get her back," I shrugged. "I don't know how, but I will."

"Well you can start by going up to room W712," she smiled.

"Why would I do that?" I laughed to myself.

"I saw her name come up on the screen today. She has an appointment in ten minutes," she shrugged.

I eyed her suspiciously, "Why?"

"I don't know. It's probably just her annual lady check up," she stood up. "Just make sure you barge in right at twelve, or it might get a little awkward..."

"Yeah but she-" I stopped myself. "Never mind," I shook my head. "Thanks for letting me know."

"Just looking out for you," she smiled before leaving my office.

As I walked to up and across the building of the hospital I have very rarely been to, I couldn't help but wonder. If she was sick or had an issue why didn't she just see me at home? I could do a free evaluation at home. Maybe Katherine was right and it was just a 'lady checkup.' Or maybe she just really hates me and would rather see someone else.

"Hi ," I greeted the woman. "I'm Dr. Cavanaugh, I work in the ICU."

"Oh right," she nodded her head. "I've seen you around."

"So this is going to sound strange," I laughed to myself. "But your next patient, Spencer Cava-Hastings," I corrected myself. "Well she is actually a patient of mine. Do you mind if I talk to her for a moment before you go in there?"

"Well," she looked confused. "I don't know. She made the appointment with me, if she would have wanted to see you I'm sure she would have made it with you."

I smiled trying to charm my way into getting my way. "Ok this is going to sound crazy. But she is my wife and I need to see her."

She laughed out loud at me. "Right," she rolled her eyes.

"Just go ask her," I tilted my head towards her room. "Ask her what her husband's name is. I'll wait."

She looked at me like I was crazy. She rolled her eyes and entered the room. I waited only a few seconds before she walked back out. "You have ten minutes."

I smiled as I opened the door to her room.

"Toby?" She looked shocked. Her cheeks flooded red. "Wh-what are you doing here?"

"I work here," I sat down in the chair next to her.

"Here," she corrected herself. "In my room."