Chapter 13

Spencer's POV

I quietly knocked on the door as I clutched my purse. It had now been two weeks since the incident. I was trying to put on a brave face. It was hard pretending I didn't care about him anymore. From now we would be splitting her fifty-fifty, and no longer be spending time together. I understand that maybe she had kissed him first, but I was there long enough to see the kiss last longer than necessary.

He finally opened the door with Hayden by his side ready to go. He was looking down and away from me. I was used to the awkwardness by now, but he would normally at least acknowledge my presence.

"All ready?" I asked Hayden bending down to help her with her bags.

She just nodded and kissed Toby goodbye. I knew she was mad at us. She wanted us to be a family. I tried explaining it to her, but she's just too young to understand.

She walked, head down to my car, climbing into her car seat. "I'll drop her off Wednesday," I reminded him.

He nodded ready to close the door.

"Toby," I sighed. As much as I was angry at him, I didn't want to see him this way.

"I have to go," he shifted away from me. His head still tilted away from me.

"Can we just talk for a minute," I pleaded.

His eyes shifted towards me without moving his head, "I can't."

"What's going on with you?" I tried again.

"I just have to get ready for work," his eyes moved back down to his feet.

I knew he was hiding something from me. I reached out to grab his chin and tilt his chin so I could see. "Damn it Toby," I sighed. He had a black eye and a split lip.

"It's nothing," he moved his face away.

"Really? Because it looks to me like you got in a fight?" I scolded him. "What were you thinking? You have a daughter. What does she think?"

"I told her I fell," he glared at me. "Now would you quit acting like I don't know how to raise a child. I did it alone almost her entire life," he said before closing the door.

I stood there for a minute. It hurt to hear him remind me how I wasn't there for the majority of her life. But he was right. He did raise her by himself, I should give him more credit.

I walked back to my car and strapped Hayden in. "I missed you," I smiled at her.

She looked at me for a long time. I could tell she was struggling with how to feel. "I missed you too," she said with a grumpy face. "And so does daddy."

I got into the drivers seat and started pulling away. "What do you want to do today?"

She looked out her window ignoring me. I sighed, "Hayden. Mommy's sorry," I said looking in my mirror at her.

"Daddy's sad now," she looked at me through my mirror.

"I know baby," I could feel the stinging in my eyes. I hated that she had to be in the middle of all this. "He will be happy again soon, I promise."

It was silent all the way back to my place. I glanced back every once in a while to see if she had fallen asleep, but every time she was looking out her window with a frown on her face.

"The park," she finally said as I pulled into the driveway.

"What?" I was surprised to hear her say anything at all.

"I want to go to the park today," she said, finally answering my question from earlier.

"Ok," I smiled at her.