Chapter 6

Spencer's POV

We gathered in his room, his parent's and I. I had no more tears left. They were completely dried out. My body was unable to produce at the rate they were falling from my eyes. His parents sat on one side of his bed holding his hand, while I sat on the other. I was given a lot of alone time with him last night, but it never felt like enough. I kissed his lifeless lips until mine were numb. It was hard to feel how lifeless he was.

"Is everyone ready?" Dr. Cavanaugh finally spoke.

We all just simply nodded our heads unable to speak.

"I am just checking one last time, for any changes," he spoke softly. He took a couple minutes to look over his results. "I'm sorry, but there is still no change."

Nobody moved, we were all expecting this.

"Are you ready?" He asked again.

We all nodded. I just wanted to get it over with. It was about five seconds later when I heard the machines shut down. His chest immediately stopped moving up and down. But other than that nothing really changed. It made me realize how gone he already was...

"I'll give you guy's a moment," he said before leaving.

I stood there looking at both of his parents sobbing. They had each other to get through this. I had no one. I was all alone. No one could understand what I was going through. I stood up and walked out of the room. I knew where my legs were taking me and there was no way I was going to stop them. I practically ran when I saw him at the end of the hallway. The tears already escaping my eyes. He opened up his arms when he saw me, knowing what I needed. I practically leaped into his arms. I sobbed into his shoulder as my hands gripped his shirt.
He lightly wrapped one arm around my waist to keep me standing and the other was cradling my head. His one arm rubbed my back trying to soothe me. "Shh... Spence. It's ok. You'll be ok." He kept whispering words of encouragement in my ear.

I could feel all the doctors and nurses staring at us, but I didn't care. I just needed someone who cared, to tell me everything was going to be ok. And even though I knew nothing would be ok, I just needed to hear it.

He pulled me into his office so we weren't causing a big scene. He sat me down as I sobbed. "Do you need something? What can I do? Do you want a glass of water? Do you want to lie down?"

I just shook my head, I couldn't get the words out. I was still holding onto his hands. I'm pretty sure I was breaking his fingers I was squeezing them so hard.

After about twenty minutes of me crying and him just holding me he finally spoke. "Spence my pager is going off. They are looking for me."

I just nodded, knowing he had to leave.

"Do you want me to find you a place to lie down? Or do you want me to walk you back to Adam's room?" He offered.

"I think I need to lie down," I finally said.

"Ok," he pulled me out of the chair. He walked me down a couple of rooms. He found an empty one, "Here, lie down."

I laid down as he covered my with the hospital blanket.

"I'll come check on you when I can... Are you going to be ok without me?" He asked.

I shook my head no. "But I'll try," I whisper.

Toby's POV

After everything calmed down an hour later, I headed back to Spencer. She was still laying in bed. Her eyes were open still but she looked like she had stopped crying. "Feeling any better?"