Chapter 5

Toby's POV

I tried avoiding her all week. Checking on him while she went to the bathroom or the cafeteria. I think she was avoiding me too. I felt bad for doing what I did. She was clearly just upset about Adam and she wasn't thinking clearly. I shouldn't have taken advantage of her. "So you do come in here?" I heard her say from behind me.

"Uh, yeah." I turned around and headed for the door avoiding eye contact.

"Are we ever going to talk about what happened?" She asked.

"I... I shouldn't have done what I did. I didn't mean to take advantage of you," I looked at the floor.

"Take advantage?" She questioned. "I kissed you," she whispered so no one could here.

"But I made the first move. You were just upset, you weren't thinking clearly. And I took advantage of that," I argued.

She sat down and sipped her coffee, "I was thinking pretty clearly. I wasn't upset. I was happy that you said that to his parents, even if it was just to keep me here longer. The crazy part is... I'm glad you want me to stay, because I want to stay too."

I was confused, "What are you saying?"

She shook her head. "Never mind. Forget I said anything. You're right, I'm not thinking clearly."

I was still confused but I left before I did something stupid again.

I ran into Katherine in the hallway. "Oh hey I was just coming to find you. Adam's parent's are waiting in your office they have a question for you."

"Oh, thanks." I shake my head trying to straighten everything out.

"You ok?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I swallowed.

"No you're not," Katherine reached for my shoulder.

"I can't talk right now. I have a lot to do," I headed for my office before she could pry.

They were waiting for me sitting across from my desk. I sat down, "You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yes," the father spoke. "We can't do this back and forth stuff anymore. It's up and it's down. I know what my son would want. We want to pull the plug."

"What about Spencer?" I immediately ask.

"She would want what's best," the father answered.

"Ok," I try to process everything. "I will have Katherine get you all the paperwork and then we can do it tomorrow morning?" I ask.

"Thank you," the father nods.

"Sure," I nod. I can't help but think of Spencer and what she's going to think.

Spencer's POV

As I sat there holding Adam's hand I was thinking of Dr. Cavanaugh. I was thinking about the kiss and his smile. And the way he would look at me like...

"Spencer?" he knocked on the door lightly.

I turned around. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to talk to you. Do you have a minute?" He asked.

"Of course," I gestured to the seat next to the seat next to me.

He took a seat, "Have you talked to Adam's parents today?"

"No, why?" I was confused.

"They talked to me today. And they want to pull the plug... tomorrow."

"What?" my eyes filled with tears. "Why didn't they tell me?"

"I don't know. I just wanted to let you know," he sighed.

"I guess this is it then?" I squeezed Adam's hand.

"I'm so sorry Spencer," he whispered.

"It's not your fault. You did everything you could." I laughed to myself.

"What are you laughing at?" He questioned.

"You want to hear something crazy?" I asked.

"Sure," he tried not to smile.

"This happened to me," I sighed heavily.

"What happened to you?" He cocked his head to the side.

"I had an accident. I was drinking and I was walking home, apparently I slipped on some ice and I hit my head pretty hard. I was only in a coma for a week but I had bad brain damage. I couldn't remember time before the accident. I remembered most of it, but there was a significant amount I didn't."

"When did this happen?" his face changed.

"Almost four years ago," I answered. "Then I met Adam shortly after. I was so happy because I felt so... strange after my accident. Like there was something important or something. But I found it. It was Adam... But now I won't have him anymore."

"I'm sorry," he apologized.

"I think the universe is trying to tell me something. First me, now Adam. But I don't know what it's trying to tell me."

"I wish I could tell you," he whispered. "I have to get going though. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Ok," I tried smiling but the pain was just too much.

Toby's POV

I headed back to my office to grab my jacket. I was so terrified for tomorrow. I didn't want to have to say goodbye to Spencer. The thought of it was... unbearable.

"Hey," Katherine opened my door and walked in.

"Hey," I tried smiling. "What's up?"

"I just have a quick question. James Richardson, the one who broke his femur... He was wondering about physical therapy. Did you get him set up with Dr. Lynch already?"

"No I forgot," I sighed. "Sorry. Tell him I will do it tomorrow morning."

"Sure thing," she nodded. "Heading out?"

"Yeah," I nod.

She walked towards me, "How did Spencer take it?"

"Ok I guess," I shrugged. "Pretty well considering."

"Yeah... Well I'll go tell James you said yo-" she stopped mid sentence. She was staring at the picture frame on my desk.

"Katherine-" I shut my eyes.

"What the hell is this?" she picked up the picture frame.

"It's... Just let it go, ok?" I grabbed the picture from her hand and put it face down.

"I don't understand?" she looked at me confused.

"Neither does she..." I sigh.