Chapter 7

Toby's POV

2 months later...

I hadn't heard from or seen Spencer, in two months. I was trying to not let it bother me, but it was. I was wondering what she had been up to. Was she spending her days in bed crying? Was she working a ton of hours trying to make up for the time she took off? Was she out looking for someone to date? Did she ever think about me? Millions of questions ran through my head daily. I couldn't stop thinking about her. She was my wife after all, I hadn't stopped thinking about her since I met her.

"Cavanaugh," Katherine peeked her head into my office. "Room N409, they need you."

"Ok," I stand up. "I'll be there in a second." I shoved my paperwork in my file cabinet and then headed down the hallway.

I lightly knocked on the door before opening it up. "What are you doing here?" I smiled.

"I thought it was time I come see you," she smiled back. "Plus I think I might be coming down with something," her voice sounded scratchy.

I sat down in front of her. I felt her throat for any swelling. "Open," I commanded.

I checked her throat, and then listened to her heart and her lungs. "I think you just have a normal cold."

"I figured," she cleared her throat. "I mainly came to see you. The rest was just a bonus."

I couldn't help but smile. "Are you here to tell me you want a divorce?" I joked.

"No," she smiled. "But we do need to talk about that."

"I agree," I nodded. "What are you doing for lunch?"

"Want to go to that new place across the street?" She asked.

"I would love to," I looked at my watch. "Give me twenty minutes. I'll meet you at the South entrance."

Spencer's POV

We sat making small talk, not really getting to the big stuff. "So..." I started after I swallowed a bite of my food. "Are we going to talk about..." I didn't really know how to finish that sentence.

"Our marriage?" He finished for me.

"Yeah," I bit my lip nervously.

"Well the ball is in your court," he gestured towards me.

"That's not fair," I frowned.

"Why not?" he laughed at me.

"Because... How do you know you still want to be with me? I'm probably not the same person you once thought I was."

"Oh you are very much the same," he smiled. "You are still very stubborn. You like to fight with me. Your right eye still twitches when you're mad at me. And you still roll your eyes at me when you know I'm right."

"Gee, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to date me," I say sarcastically.

"You also still blush when I compliment you. You still bite your bottom lip when you are nervous. You are still extremely beautiful. And you are still an amazing kisser," he smiles.

"Ok so maybe it's easy for you... But for me. I don't remember anything about you. I feel like you know me so well and I don't know much of anything about you. It's like our heads and our hearts are in completely different places right now," I sighed.

"I know," his smile suddenly faded.

"That doesn't mean that I don't care about you or that I don't want to be with you someday. It's just really hard for me to deal with this," I tried to get him to understand.