[12] Ezra: "A Lose-Lose Situation."

A simple trailer made by little old me for this book above. [Matt Lanter as EZRA, YAY!] I had very little time so I couldn't add some scenes. But still, I hope you like it!

Dedication: hazzaloveyah :)

~

Ezra Harland's PoV:

"Ah, the man of the hour!"

I was roaming around aimlessly in-between the throngs of people on the outskirts of the dance floor when the vaguely familiar voice pulled me out of my conflicting thoughts. I turn around to see the widely grinning face of Angier Wellington—a guy I'd known all through my childhood through our trips and vacations and numerous parties. He was neither an heir, nor did his parents hold consequential ranking, but since he was the best friend of Alpha Karas' only daughter, he was like a son to their family and always tagged along with them to these occasions.

Despite me feeling confused and overall puzzled as to everything that's going on in my life, looking at the face of a friend I hadn't seen in so long pushes away all those muddled thoughts and brings a huge grin to my face, "I hear someone is gonna become Beta!" I exclaim as I rush forward and pull him into a short hug, still grinning as I turn to his best friend, extending a hand, "Ms. Karas."

"Beta Harland," The dark-haired Grecian future-Alpha returns just as formally with a small smile, seemingly very amused at the look of comical shock on Angier's face.

Thing is, Alpha Karas' daughter, Tatum Karas, had woken up one night when she was twelve in unbearable pain that had confirmed that her Mate—wherever he was—had died. Ever since that incident, she'd closed herself off completely and had stopped attending all events and unfortunately for our friendship, we hadn't seen much of each other after that.

When I'd called to confirm their presence at the party, Tatum had informed me that she had picked her best friend to lead beside her due to the fact she would be utterly alone without a Mate as it is, and since she and the actual Beta's heir have some bad-blood, she figured that this choice would be much better. I completely agreed because if I wasn't Seneca's best friend, things would've been way more complicated around the Mordecai pack.

According to Tatum, Angier seemed to be very reluctant to challenge for the position. Now looking at his face, I can tell that she was right about it, "I was informed about it only last week! How did you . . . ?" His flabbergasted expression morphed to one of even more surprise as he turned to Tatum with accusation in his eyes, "You told him!"

"Guilty." The Alpha-heir replied in a cool tone as she simpered and the way she was so closed-off and controlled reminded me so much of how Seneca used to be, that at that moment, my heart hurt for the girl.

Because Seneca had found her Micajah, who'd managed to bring back the happiness she'd buried.

But who would do that for her?

Maybe as friends, all of us could try and fill the void of one person.

Decision made, I clear my throat slightly to void it of any emotion, appraising Tatum quickly, "So, Ms. Karas, how have you been? It's easily been a handful of years since I last saw you."

She nods politely, her expression so neutral that I don't have a single clue as to what she might be thinking, "Yes, I've been fine, thank you. And just call me Tatum, I'm not Alpha yet."

"Good to know," I smile and something about the way I did must've tipped her off to the fact that I was just thinking about her Mateless status. "And as for the other thing, I'll do it only if you promise to call me Ezra," I say quickly, hoping not to offend her with any unnecessary pity or sympathy.