Luke Hemmings #4

Panic Attack

Red warning signs were flashing in you mind. If you don't get out of here you're going to have a panic attack.

I'm going to have a panic attack. The air was thick from the smoke machines in this tiny room crammed packed of 400 people for a gig. You thought you could handle it but as soon as you felt your palms tingle, you knew you were starting to panic.

"Hey, I gotta get some air, you stay I'll be fine" You shout into your friend's ear. "I'll be fine I promise!"

As soon as you shouted that you turned and forced yourself through the crowd to the exit door at the back of the building, every step seemed harder than the last; the walls felt like they were closing in. Sucking in deep breaths every chance you got, not even noticing by now you were crying.

You reached the exit door and in almost a millisecond the thick steamy air of the venue dissipated and you were surrounded by the cold, thin air, the sweaty bodies pressed against you had vanished. You leaned against the rough brick of the outside of the building and closed your eyes as you concentrated on getting oxygen into your lungs.

Slowly you managed to calm yourself down and the painful feeling of panic passed. After opening your eyes you realised you were standing on the streets of Sydney by yourself. But you couldn't go back inside. Anxiety is something you weren't good at controlling, though you've had it your entire life so it's nothing new to you. However it is something that prevents you from doing the things you wanted to do. You wanted to come to this gig with Y/F/N who was obsessed with the band playing - 5 Seconds of Summer, you were quite excited to go with her. You thought that maybe you'll be having so much fun that you wouldn't panic, but you did, and now you were standing outside on the streets and it was freezing. Great.

After thinking for a few minutes you decided on 2 options, you could either 1. go home or 2. wait for Y/F/N who was inside with some other friends of hers. You decided you couldn't choose so you did neither of those things. Instead you decided to look around the outside of the venue in hope that you'd find someone who had also suffered the same experience as you, and was maybe having a panic attack on the street. Unlikely, but possible.

You looked down at your phone and checked the time, it was now 10:56pm, meaning 5SOS had finished their set, and the other band which were playing had probably began their set by now.

As you wondered further around the building you came across the back entrance. The thumping of music was still escaping through the walls, but as much as you wished to be inside, you just couldn't handle it.

Although it was a lot more calming to be outside, you were still a bit anxious being by yourself this late out in Sydney, so you crept down the side alley where the back entrance was and sat down on the steps to the door. After about 10 minutes of waiting you heard shouting coming from a group of young guys walking past, which made you huddle up so they didn't notice you were there. You being only 16, it was a lot easier to just hide. Although that didn't work.

One of the dark figures walking past in the dimmed street lights noticed you.

"HEY" one of them shouted, you sat silent, shaking. "I SEE YOU HIDING DOWN THERE", you were frozen with fear. These guys were drunk, they were loud and waving beer bottles around. You'd just started to regret coming outside, you'd prefer an anxiety attack over this. After not responding, the guy left his mates and started stumbling down the alley towards you. You instantly stood up and banged on the backstage door, hoping someone would hear you. Before you knew it you felt a hand grab your arm, attempting to pull away only made his grip became stronger.

He pulled you to face him and was met by the smell of alcohol and cigarettes. You felt your heart pound, so hard you were almost sure he could hear it. "What are you doing out so late sweetheart?" he asked in a drunk, horrifying voice.