Pichu's Backstory: Part 1

Pichu Human caught her very first ponyta in Pokemon Go. She smiled in delight as she watched it spin around in its pokeball. But her smile soon fell when she saw that she leveled up to Level 5.

It was time for her to pick her team.

This day she had dreaded for a long time. From the first moment she entered the pokemon world. Her father was the leader of Team Instinct, and her whole family had joined it. All the tests online she took told her she was Mystic. But she really hoped and wanted to be on Valor.

"Trust yourself and your instincts!" her father advised. But where was her heart going?

"Trust the tests," her mother once told her. "They tell you the right team to be on and you will be the happiest there." But were the tests accurate to decide her destiny?

"Whatever you do, join Instinct," her brother suggested. "We can fight battles all together!" But what if she didn't like Raichu?

She didn't want to anger her family or be a disgrace to them, but she really wanted to be on Valor. Her mother told her that the tests were always right and that she would be happiest there. Pichu closed her eyes and let a tear slip down her cheek. All of those things were equally important. Family, tests, or heart? she thought. She was torn.

Pichu sighed, knowing that she would have to do it someday. She finally went over to the nearest gym. It was a large circular stadium suspended from a pole. The pole was the elevator to the stadium, which was where the battles took place.

She put her hand onto the elevator doors. The door read her fingerprint, and the three team leaders appeared in holograms, their figure translucent. First, Candela gave her speech about joining Valor, of bravery, power, and strength.

"Join Valor," Candela urged, "For power and pride!" Her hologram disappeared, to be replaced with the image of Blanche. She spoke about intelligence, strategy, and wit.

"In a battle," the Mystic leader explained, "Intellect can allow the weakest pokemon to win. It is the key of knowledge to unlock the mysteries of pokemon." Her image disappeared, and Spark appeared. He explained to her about trusting yourself, and instincts.

"Choose what you think is best!" Spark concluded, "And watch me bottle flip!" A water bottle appeared, and landed on the ground perfectly. His hologram disappeared.

"Which do you chose?" a robotic voice asked. She gave a shuddering sigh as she did eeny-meeny-miny-mo. It landed on Mystic. She held her breath, and whispered, "My-mystic."

But instead of the welcoming speech, nothing happened.

"What?" Pichu gasped, even though inside she was relieved. She thought aloud, "Malfunction maybe?..."

"No," a voice answered. Another hologram appeared to reveal a man around the other team leader's age, dressed in white, and hints of dark blue. "My name is Cor. I'm the leader of Team Protego." That's it? she thought. Nothing about the team or anything? Pichu gaped. Heart, test, family, heart, test, family, heart, test, family... or curiosity? She opened her mouth, but could find no words.

Then, she finally made up her mind.

"Protego," she decided. "I chose Team Protego." Cor smiled, and disappeared from the ground.

Something appeared on the screen of her phone. There was a number: 2015, and some numbers below it: 2 and (56 16 21 - 6). What did it mean? Pichu was even more confuzzled.

2015

2

(56 16 21 - 6)

She didn't know that everything was about to change.