𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

The Dean's Office: Paige's POV

I was in the dean's office trying to sort out my situation about my scholarship. So far this entire week have been annoying and frustrating.

The Dean: The scholarship cutbacks have hurt a lot of students. I just wish you had come in sooner. Our discretionary aid money ran out weeks ago. I'm sorry. *as he leaves his office*
Paige: *follows* no No NO! You need to understand. I've been taking care of my mom since my dad left. I wash her clothes, I buck her up when her heart gets broken. I pay bills, I work weekends. Do you know what gets me through?
The Dean: Well, if it's drugs, don't tell me 'cause I'm obligated to report it.
Paige: Hope. The hope that I can graduate and move far, far away and live like a normal person. You kill my hope and you kill me. Do you understand? I need to stay in school... Please.
The Dean: Ok, listen. If it helps, there are some unconventional scholarships available. Odd little things from specialty groups. They're in this catalogue.

He handed me the catalogue of all of the remaining scholarships in Longwood.

The Dean: I hope there's something there. *leaves*

this is just great....

15 mins later

These scholarships are crazy and not my thing. I'm over here skimming through the pages of this catalogue the dean gave to me as I start to sarcastically criticize each and everyone of them to this lady at the front desk even though she don't care about me or her job.

Paige: Oh, look, there's a scholarship for students with the last name of van Valkenberg. Hmm, one for people fluent in klingon. And let's see here. Uh, oh, one for those interested in pursuing a career in the potato industry. Eh, I don't know where to start.
Lady: If you flip to the back, there's one for very sarcastic people.
Paige: Glad you can find joy in your job.

That gave me a disgusting face. Uh...

Lady: Hey, Renee. Wildcats taking us to the nationals this season?
Renee: You know it, Mona. I'm dropping of my scholarship papers for Mr. Rabin. Can you see that he gets it?

wait...scholarship?!

Paige: You're applying for a scholarship?
Renee: I have one now. For cheerleading.
Paige: Cheerleading?
Renee: Comes with being a Wildcat. They need us fierce and focused. Eye on the prize.
Paige: Whoa, whoa, wait. There's a scholarship for cheerleading? For being a football groupie?

She gasped a little and quickly went up to my face.

Renee: Sorry. Did you just call me a groupie?
Paige: Oh, nothing personal against you. I—
Renee: It doesn't get more personal than calling someone a groupie.
Paige: Ok, groupie's jump up and down in skimpy outfits screaming adulation for masculine fantasy figures. Yeah, beyond that, we're splitting hairs.
Renee: Take that back.
Paige: Whoa. Are we in grade school? I call no take-backs.
Renee: Don't make me come down off this porch.
Paige: Are you actually threatening me? Physically?
Renee: We are an internationally-recognized competitive sport. We spend 20 hours a week practicing. We bench press twice our body weight and run a 7-minute mile. We compete with broken thumbs and twisted ankles, smiling through the pain. We are athletes.
Paige: Back in Dollywood, maybe.

She was about to slap me until my quick reflexes stop it from happening. I tighten my grip and she tried to get herself away from me.

Paige: You know, wouldn't you rather get right to the hair pulling? *lets go of her hand*
Renee: I'm not gonna let some grubby little goth insult the Longwood Wildcats.
Paige: Oh, my God, you did not just call me goth.
Renee: On down to whatever gas station you work at.

This blonde chick just kept on rambling about i am. I'm doing the same thing to her. Our yelling gradually got louder which made everyone in the room look at us.

unison, we both stop...

Paige: *whispers* Everyone's staring.
Renee: *whispers* We should leave quietly.
Paige: *whispers* Count of three.
Renee: *whispers* Yeah.

We counted to three and we both in opposite directions. As i was heading out of the office and i see on the bulletin board a flyer that the Wildcats are having tryout.

If trying out for the cheerleadering team is what it takes for me to get a scholarship and stay in Longwood

then...Bring It On!

Yes, pun intended

🌺

𝔲𝔫𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔭𝔲𝔱𝔢𝔡