XIII - compass.

the music blasted loudly through the big wooden doors. clearly, nara had mistaken what they meant by a party. when they had suggested it, she expected it to be a small gathering with lots of alcohol involved.

god, was she wrong.

as they pushed through the doors, nara's eyes widened at the amount of people inside. this was clearly not the best idea to maintain a low profile.

"i don't like this," nara spoke, though the others didn't hear her or pretended like they didn't as they proceeded anyway.

soon enough, they were met by the very blonde head of jimin.

he lifted his arms in the air, the biggest smile on his lips. "girls! didn't think you'd show up, to be quite honest. but i'm glad you did."

"shush, where's the booze?" inna immediately asked.

"where's the dancefloor?" it was kia's turn to question, making the male chuckle.

"follow me, ladies," he motioned for them to go with him while pami looked at nara apologetically.

"i'll go make sure they don't get in trouble," she spoke, receiving a single nod from nara.

wrapping her arms around her body, she watched as they disappeared in between the crowd. the loud music was making her go crazy, and she knew she needed alcohol right in that instant. but then she couldn't, otherwise she wouldn't be sober for the deal they were about to make.

she swallowed hard as she watched everyone dancing. once again, memories crawled from her hippocampus and suddenly, she was thrown back to the moments when her and ava would dance the night away.

"penny for your thoughts?" a throaty voice whispered in her ear, making her slightly jump in startle.

she quickly cleared her throat, shaking her head slightly. "just... trying to prepare for later."

"yeah i don't think so," namjoon walked past her, his tall figure standing in front of her with a cup on his hand, which she eyed suspiciously. "it's just sprite, do you want some?"

she didn't know what possessed her to accept, but she extended her hand and he gave her his cup. she put the liquid to her lips, almost sighing in contentment as it slid down her dry throat.

"thanks," she spoke, handing him the cup back.

"now i have lipstick stains on this," he chuckled, giving her a look. "this whole thing," he motioned towards her cut out top and high waisted shorts, "looks good on you."

nara narrowed her eyes. "so you're saying i don't normally dress girly enough?"

he shook his head, a grin on his lips. "do you have to always assume the worst in everything i say?"

"yes," she muttered under her breath, arms crossing over her chest. "when do we leave?"

"leave?" namjoon arched his eyebrow. "you just got here, why are you thinking about leaving already?"

"i don't really like it here," she deadpanned. "plus, i take my work very seriously, and so i want to make sure everything is okay."

"i've got it under control," he assured her, hand reaching for his phone. "i have an alarm, we'll leave and get there in fifteen minutes."

nara nodded slowly, confirming she understood him. her eyes landed on the white short sleeved shirt he was wearing, noticing the necklace with a small compass around his neck. except it didn't point to the north like most would, it pointed south.

"gang related?" she pointed to the piece, taking a step closer to him.

"you could say that," he froze, watching as her finger tapped the material slightly. "but that's a story for another time."

"who said i wanted to hear it?" she lifted her eyebrow, yet the soft smile on her lips told another story by itself.

namjoon scoffed, his head slightly tilting to the side. "you're right, no one did."

she looked at him and, for unknown reasons even to her, a sense of comfort washed over her. there was something about their short interaction that had changed her view on him, even if just slightly. she had always looked at him as a rival, forgetting about all the things that made him as human as she was.

"do you dance?" she asked, her fingertips leaving the small compass and laying just over his chest.

"me? dance?" namjoon lifted his eyebrow, shaking his head slowly as he watched her. "i don't."

"i think you're lying," she narrowed her eyes at him.

"i'll be happy to prove it, but you'll be embarrassing yourself if you stick around me," he spoke, earning a shrug from nara.

getting on her tiptoes, she put her lips next to his ear, just as he had done with her. "prove it, then."

before he could react, the girl was already wrapping her hand around his, pulling him to the dancefloor.

he tried to ignore the tingly feeling that surged in his fingers as they laced together with hers. he knew the girl was dangerous, flamable, and a puzzle he hadn't quite solved yet. and still, the adrenaline running through his veins only made him want more and more, despite all the danger alarms.

as they arrived to the very middle of the dancing crowd, he tried to read her. he tried to look into her eyes and figure out what went on in that mysterious head of hers, and what made her suddenly not hate him as much.

and nara wished she had the answers to that herself.

without a single word, she took her hand away from his, her body beginning to sway to the rhythm of the music. he watched her for a moment, mesmerized, almost failing to recognize the girl in front of him.

she noticed his slight agape mouth, an all too girly giggle leaving her lips. "c'mon dance monster," she grabbed his shirt, pulling him closer to her as the two began to dance.

maybe it was the heat of the dancefloor clouding her thoughts, but nara slowly wrapped her arms around his neck, his hands slipping around her waist and pulling her closer to his chest. and as they moved together, nara guiding him more than the other way around, there was yet another wall coming down.

nara let go of him, turning around and pressing her back against his chest. her hips swayed from side to side as his face buried in between her neck and shoulder.

there was something about the way he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer like she was his, that made her heart strain and her thighs clench. she lifted her head up slightly, eyes hooded as she looked at him, receiving the exact same gaze from him.

and as his hand grazed her cheek, turning her face around slightly so he could take a good look at her as his hips grazed the curve of her bottom. she closed her eyes, fingers gripping the hairs on the back of his neck as she almost gave in. almost.

except for the fact that his phone decided to start vibrating in his back pocket.

they were both pulled back to reality, just in time for inna and jimin to surge through the crowd.

"it's time," namjoon spoke, breathless.

he sent a nod jimin's way, who had his eyebrows furrowed as he looked at the two leaders.

nara quickly stepped back from namjoon, inna sending her an equally questioning look.

"be careful," was all inna said as she reached out to grip nara's hand. the leader simply nodded, eyeing namjoon once more before pushing through the crowd towards the exit.

and she walked so fast, she hoped he wouldn't notice just how flustered she was.

***
author's note

would anyone like some holy water? i got some for u

things got just a tiny bit steamy, not as much as they probably will. ;)

thank you for the 300+ reads! let me know what you think of the chapter ♡