14

The crowd cheered as my heart broke into a million pieces. Tony pulled Claire to the side where Fidel and Beall were.

"People of Illéa," Tony said, "Please bless the marriage of Lady Claire," He said then placed her hand on Beall's hand, "And Prince Beall Schreave of France."

The cheers stopped for a moment then it started again with uncertainty. If possible, my broken heart started to mend. Claire looked stunned but she smiled and curtsied to her future husband. Beall whispered something in her ear but she shook her head and smiled.

Louise turned hopeful again but she glanced warily at Fidel. I knew she wasn't stupid to figure out that there was a chance that she might be given to Fidel. Tony turned and looked at Louise. He smiled and held out his hand for her, "Join me, Louise."

Louise took his hand but there was still uncertainty in her eyes. Tony held both of her hands and stared at her. The mended parts of my heart broke apart again.

Julianne squeezed my hand and whispered, "Don't cry, Haidee. You're better than her, okay?"

I pursed my lips and nodded. Be strong, Haidee.

"Louise," Tony started, "I've only met you for about five months but you grew on me. You were the first girl outside of my family to know my hobby of sketching. I like how you turn childish with me but proper when needed."

Louise looked like she was trying hard not to cry but she kept nodding her head as if she was already saying yes.

"I like how you're humble and don't think badly of others. I like how you're so nice. I like how you look when you paint. Especially when your shirt is covered in it." He smiled.

I clutched my gown. I really wanted to get out of here. I didn't want to hear about the part where they were getting married. I need an escape plan.

"I like how you try your best to please everyone. I like how innocent and caring you are. You were the first person to find me in my hiding place. You're like a cloud that covers the sun when it gets too sunny. Like a lily in the middle of a sunflower garden." He said.

I took deep breaths so I wouldn't cry. Even Celestiana looked doubtful now and it didn't help my mood. Especially Louise's crying face. She was so happy that I almost wanted to tear off that smile on her face. Julianne squeezed my hand every now and then.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Of course," I answered quickly, "Why wouldn't I be?"

She frowned, "Don't even pretend. Come on, let's go to the comfort room, okay?"

I sighed in relief and nodded, thankful for the escape. We stood and she pulled me past the crowd.

"You're a wonderful girl and any man would die to have you." He said.

I wanted to block out his voice. His words. Those words that crushed my already broken heart.

"And maybe that's why I'm weird," He said suddenly, "Because I don't want to die to have you. I want to live."

I choked back a sob. Julianne squeezed my hand, "Come on, let's move faster." She said.

"I want to live." He repeated, "With another girl."

I stopped in my tracks and stared back at the middle in surprise. Some gasped and started whispering. Tony released her hands, "I'm sorry, Louise. Everything I said was true, but there's another woman I love."

Louise's tears streamed down her face uncontrollably but she nodded her head, as if she thought this would happen.

"And this is the only thing I can do to make up for your loss," Tony continued and motioned for Fidel to come forward, "The prince of Spain has taken interest in you. If you would accept, he would love for you to go to Spain with him. Start a relationship and if things work out, get married."