30

I didn't remember breakfast as one of the most quiet times inside the palace. But that was what happened. On the head of the table was Gabriel—obviously—and on the left side were us girls and on his right were the boys. The men wore dress shirts that varied in color while us girls wore day dresses.

My maids dressed me in a cap-sleeved dress that flowed until my knees. My waist was made evident by the ribbon on the waist line. My hair was in an up-do and my make up looked natural but there were actually a lot of layers.

I hated it.

The other girls obviously loved their new appearances. They were all smiling and eating the dishes happily. The food was amazing but then again, I could not appreciate it.

Gabriel would probably learn that Tony and I were here. I had a feeling. I really think we should escape early.

The king cleared his throat and spoke, "Guests, your schedule will be postponed for a while. We will first issue a . . . test to make sure none of you are the ones we are looking for. This shall happen once a week for safety reasons," he smiled, "surely we don't want serial killers among us, do we?"

The guests laughed and so did I—although it was forced. I wanted to tell him that he should kick himself out because he was the killer, not us.

He rose and bowed, "I will be taking my leave now. All of you will stay here and wait to be examined before exiting. I have matters to attend to," he said and motioned for the lady commander waiting by the door.

The girl nodded and talked to the other guard beside her. The guard quickly ran off. When Gabriel left with the lady commander, I took a deep breath and pretended like nothing happened.

The chatters inside the hall increased when he was gone.

"What matters do you think he's attending to?"

"I think he's searching for a wife."

"Maybe he's organizing that charity work mentioned on the Report."

One girl snorted, "Yeah right. I bet he's off killing innocent people again."

"You could be right."

"I doubt it. Look at him! He's such a cutie!"

"A good face doesn't mean his decorum is good too," I muttered and took a sip of tea.

The girls' heads turned to me.

"See? I told you! Even she doesn't like him!"

"What? Miss, you're clearly mistaken," the girl told me, "look at the charity works he's already done!"

I shrugged, "Well, I haven't seen any change."

The other girl smiled, "She's right, you know?"

The girl scoffed and crossed her arms, "What do you know? You're Sophie right? The addition to the Muses."

I nodded, "Yes, I am."

She rolled her eyes, "See? You're just a trainee. All you know is singing and dancing. You have no idea about politics and projects, so don't talk."

I raised an eyebrow and stared at her right in the eye, "And you do? Excuse me, but just because I'm a trainee doesn't mean that it's all that I know. Haven't you considered that I may have studied law or some other course before deciding to become an idol?"

I should've just closed my mouth. I should've pretended not to listen. But all these things that were happening were pushing me to my limits. I can't just listen, sit down, and pretend like nothing is happening.