15

"Rebels!"

The guests screamed and scrambles for cover. The guards dis their jobs and defended the guests.

"What—" I trailed off as I saw the chaos.

Tony had a murderous glare on his face, "Gabriel."

Gabriel laughed like a mad man, "Oh how silly of me. I never knew you were celebrating your engagement." He paused like he was thinking, "oh wait. I did!" Then he laughed again.

I balled my hands, "Why did you come back?"

He smirked, "Oh isn't it obvious? To reclaim the throne of course!"

Tony sneered, "It was never yours to begin with."

Gabriel smile turned sinister, "Oh but it is." He turned toward the chaos unfolding in front of us, "Everyone! I have an announcement to make."

The rebels held the people hostage. I didn't see Celestiana and William. Hopefully, they escaped. The floor was littered with bodies, but most of the guests were standing still so the sharp knives their captors were holding wouldn't graze their necks.

The rebels forced the cameramen to film Gabriel as he spoke, "People of Illéa! I am Gabriel Illéa, the rightful owner of the throne. For centuries, the Schreaves were feeding you lies of prosper! They tell you that they'd help you rise from poverty. Look at us now! Have they done anything? No!"

I wanted to bang his head with my heels but Tony held me in place.

Tony spoke, "You speak no truth, Gabriel. I, for one, have been making projects to address the lack of homes for the people. Besides, you speak with no proof."

Gabriel smirked, "Oh but I do. People of Illéa, I am your true master!" He took something from his pocket. A crest encrusted with jewels. "Behold! The family crest of Illéa! This has been passed down from my lineage for years! We have not reclaimed the throne thinking that they would make things right. But no! They've done nothing. I've seen people on the streets, starving everyday. I've seen people treated as servants. I, myself, have been a slave! A slave to the monsters we know as the royal family." He held out his hand, "Join me, everyone. Let us make things right. Together, we can create a better Illéa."

Some of the guests applauded, but some loyal citizens fought back. They took the guns and knives of their captors and injured them.

All havoc broke out. Guns were shot. Daggers were thrown. The other guests tried to escape the palace but that had no way out. The doors were guarded by two buff looking guys.

Tony held my hand, "Let's go."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "We can't just leave them! They're going to die."

Tony shook his head, "Gabriel won't kill them if he wants to rule, but us, we're dead if we don't escape."

I pursed my lips, "What about Claire? Julianne?"

"I saw them being evacuated," He said and tugged on my hand, "Now come on."

He pulled me away. The rebels paid us no attention. They were too busy fighting the palace guards and the guests who found the courage to fight back. Unfortunately though, Gabriel saw us.

"GET THEM!" Gabriel bellowed.

Tony and I ran. He led me to a hallway and through some set of doors. I heard footsteps following us. We sprinted more quickly.

He pulled a lever and the wall opened. When we came in, it closed behind us. We walked down a flight of stairs then turned sideways.

"It's so dark in here," I commented.