Chapter Six

It was time for Goosepaw to learn how to hunt. This time, to his disappointment, he had been separated from his brother. Tigerstripe had decided to have a one on one lesson with him. Goosepaw suspected she just didn't want Goosepaw holding Scorchpaw back.

There were two other cats joining Goosepaw and Oakfang. Fuzzypaw, and her mentor, Applepelt. Goosepaw hadn't spoken to Fuzzypaw that much, but she seemed fairly friendly.

They were leaving the camp. Goosepaw had decided to stay by Oakfang's side, still feeling awkward around Fuzzypaw. She was an incredibly fuzzy furred cat, as her name implied, with long, thick fur. She had a tuft on the top of her head.

Goosepaw's heart sank as he noticed Lilypaw running up behind the rest of the cats. However, to his surprise, she completely ignored Goosepaw, choosing not to mock him. Instead, she nuzzled her sister.

Then, she turned to Goosepaw. "You had better be nice to Fuzzypaw," she narrowed her blue eyes threateningly. "Because she's the best sister I could ask for."

"I'm not going to be rude." He answered simply, dying inside as he realised that Oakfang and Applepelt were talking a short distance away, taking no notice of Lilypaw.

"Your voice sounds disgusting, you rat," Lilypaw sneered. "It must be a gift that you can't hear it." She placed her paw around Fuzzypaw, who looked a little uneasy.

"I'm sorry about my voice." Goosepaw flinched. Is my voice really that ugly? Maybe I shouldn't speak at all.

Lilypaw's mouth moved in a laugh, and Goosepaw found himself relieved he couldn't hear what was sure to be a quite sickening sound.

"Seriously though, be nice to my sister," Lilypaw meowed. "Be nice to her, and her little fluffy head! She's so cute... oh, Fuzzypaw, I can't wait till our first battle. You'll be a little fuzzball barelling into a fight!" She patted Fuzzypaw's head, and Goosepaw held back a laugh at the slight hint of exasperation on Fuzzypaw's face.

Lilypaw looked as though she wanted to say something else, her eyes flicking from Fuzzypaw to Goosepaw, but she reminded silent. There was genuine affection in her eyes as she gazed as her grey tabby sister.

Applepelt padded over, having finally noticed Lilypaw. She said a few things to the speckled she cat, and Lilypaw simply glared at the reddish warrior before padding back to camp, ears flat against her head. Before entering, she looked over her shoulder, and Goosepaw could make out the words, "Deaf paw."

Why was I born deaf?

"We don't need to cross the stream," Oakfang explained. "We can fish from it."

They headed over to the stream, Goosepaw staying by Oakfang's side. Lilypaw had warned him to be nice to Fuzzypaw, but he didn't see how he was being rude by not talking to her. He did want to talk to her, though. She looked friendly, and fairly quiet.

Reaching the edge of the stream, Goosepaw's heart began to beat a little faster. He knew he wasn't crossing, but he still found himself scared. Then, he felt a very gentle nudge. It was so gentle, he barely noticed it at all.

Turning around, he saw Fuzzypaw. Her green eyes were round, and she looked nervous. Then she mewed something.

Goosepaw tried to make out words, but she was talking too quickly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't get that." He told her.

Fuzzypaw stepped back a little, "Sorry," she mewed. "I just wanted to know if you're okay."

Goosepaw felt a smile curving onto his face. "I'll be okay." He appreciated Fuzzypaw's kindness. Not all of the Clan were bullies like Lilypaw and Lionpaw.