Chapter Forty Six

Several moons had passed since Lilyspots's death. The Clan was gathered, listening to Whitestar speak.

Troutkit, Greykit and Silverkit stood before the Clan. They had all reached six moons, and it was time for them to become apprentices.

Goosewing was getting better and better at understanding what other cats were saying, and now, as Whitestar apprenticed the three young cats, he could understand almost everything his leader was saying, to his delight. Of course, Scorchheart still sat next to him, as willing as ever to repeat Whitestar's words, though Goosewing rarely turned to his brother for help. Still, he could never be grateful enough for the ginger tom's support and love.

Whitestar addressed Greykit, the largest of the kits, a grey tabby she cat, first. "Greykityou have reached the age... six moons, and it is time for you... apprenticed. From this day on... your warrior name, you will be known as Greypaw. Your mentor... Bluetail. I hope Bluetail will pass down... knows on to you."

Bluetail stepped forwards, looking proud. Goosewing glanced across the camp, spotting Dawnwhisker, who looked both annoyed at Whitestar's choice, and sympathetic for Greypaw. Though she can't deny that with Bluetail's training, she became one of the strongest warriors in the Clan.

"Bluetailyou... to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Nightfang... shown yourself to be brave and energetic. You will be the mentor of Greypaw, and I expect you to pass... know to Greypaw."

Greypaw and Bluetail touched noses. Greypaw looked very excited, but Bluetail's expression seemed very neutral.

At least Greypaw should grow up to be a strong warrior under Bluetail's influence.

Next, Silverkit stepped forwards. He was beaming in the direction of his sister. Behind him, Troutkit was lashing his tail, starting to look impatient, clearly not pleased that he was being apprenticed last.

"Silverkityou have reached the age of... and it is time... to be apprenticed. From this day... until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Silverpaw. Your mentor will be Dawnwhisker. I... Dawnwhisker will pass down... knows on to you."

Dawnwhisker stepped fowards, green eyes huge with excitement.

Dawnwhisker's getting an apprentice! She deserves it.

"Dawnwhiskeryou are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received... from Bluetail, and you have shown... to be determined and loyal. You will be... of... and I expect you to pass on... know to Silverpaw."

Dawnwhisker and Silverpaw touched noses, both the cats smiling. Dawnwhisker looked even more excited than her apprentice.

Finally, Troutkit stepped fowards. His ears were flat with impatience, and he narrowed his eyes at his leader. He really did change after he got sick. Thistleleap has been pressuring him a lot.

"Troutkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for... to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you... warrior name, you will be known as Troutpaw. Your mentor will be Fuzzytuft. I hope... down all she knows on to you."

Fuzzytuft stepped forwards. Goosewing could see the small she cat trembling. But she deserves this too, maybe even more than Dawnwhisker does. She spent so much time with those kits, and she has stayed strong following her sister's death, too.

Goosewing could also see Bluetail narrowing her eyes, clearly not happy with her leader's choice. Goosewing understood that Bluetail wanted strong cats to mentor the apprentices, but Goosewing believed that Fuzzytuft was the perfect example of why being a warrior wasn't all about strength.

"Fuzzytuftyou... ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Applepelt, and you... shown... to be intelligent and resilient. You will be the mentor of Troutpaw... I expect you to pass on all you know... Troutpaw."

As Fuzzytuft and Troutpaw touched noses, Goosewing wondered whether Troutpaw would show any anger at one of the 'weaker' and 'less popular' cats in the Clan being his mentor. However, Goosewing was pleased to see that the tiny apprentice was smiling. Whitestar probably paired them together knowing the time Fuzzytuft has spent with Troutpaw, and knowing that her gentleness might go well with his angry personality.

The Clan started calling out the names of the new apprentices, and Whitestar dismissed the meeting. Goosewing headed straight over to Fuzzytuft and Dawnwhisker to congratulate them.

"You deserve it." He told both she cats, and they turned to him, smiling warmly.

Troutpaw was meowing something at Fuzzytuft, and she smiled nervously, "No battle training yet, Troutpaw!" The young tom looked disappointed, but gave his mentor a respectful nod.

Bluetail padded over, glaring at Fuzzytuft. She faced away from Goosewing, so he didn't know what Bluetail was saying, but he could already guess that she was voicing her disapproval about Fuzzytuft becoming a mentor.

Bluetail stalked away, Greypaw trotting after him. Fuzzytuft frowned a little, staring at her paws.

"Are you okay?" Goosewing asked, feeling very sympathetic. Fuzzytuft gave a weak nod, still looking in the direction of Bluetail, who was leaving the camp with her apprentice.

Dawnwhisker rested her tail on Fuzzytuft's shoulder. "Don't mind her," she told Fuzzytuft, nodding in the direction of where Bluetail had disappeared, "She's really just a stupid furball."

Fuzzytuft smiled a little at Dawnwhisker's comforting words, and the two she cats left the camp with their apprentices together.

As Goosewing watched them leave, he wondered whether Lilyspots would have been given an apprentice if she was still alive.

Scorchheart nudged Goosewing, and Goosewing turned to his brother, giving him a nod. Then, of course, his thoughts drifted to Fuzzytuft.

Lilyspots had been desperate for Goosewing and Fuzzytuft to be together. He had always believed that she was joking and just messing around, and that she had just wanted him to embarrass himself, but the more he thought about it, the more he started to realise that Lilyspots might have actually been serious.

He wanted to tell Fuzzytuft how he felt, not just because he wanted to be with her but because he wanted to make Lilyspots happy.

But how could he ever tell her?

Scorchheart was still nudging him, and Goosewing simply gave his brother a nod again.

"Goosewing, do you want to go hunting?" Scorchheart asked.

Goosewing nodded for the third time, leaving the camp alongside his brother. But it was like Scorchheart wasn't even there. All he could think about was Fuzzytuft, and how he could possibly confess to her.