Chapter Fifteen

Half a moon had passed since Ravenflight's death, and it was now time for the Gathering. This time, Goosepaw had been chosen, along with Scorchpaw and Fuzzypaw. They walked at the very back of the Clan. Goosepaw could tell Scorchpaw wanted to be further ahead, standing strongly with the warriors, but he stayed behind, padding alongside Goosepaw.

On Goosepaw's other side was Fuzzypaw. She had told him she had only been to one Gathering before and that it had been very scary. Goosepaw pressed against her now, Fuzzypaw's tail resting on his back as they walked.

Goosepaw could see the fallen tree that the Clans used to get to the island. Goosepaw started trembling, and Fuzzypaw turned to him, looking concerned. He nodding weakly, and she simply narrowed her eyes, clearly aware of how scared he was. Goosepaw could already imagine himself falling off the tree trunk and falling into the lake. Yes, he knew how to swim, but not well, and he didn't want to embarrass himself either.

"You can go first." Goosepaw told Scorchpaw as they neared the tree trunk, but he simply shook his head. "After you, Goosepaw."

Goosepaw playfully batted at his brother's shoulder, before stepping onto the tree trunk. He stood there for what felt like a moon, finding himself more relieved than ever that the only cats behind him were Scorchpaw and Fuzzypaw.

He shuffled forwards, trembling paws nearly sending him flying into the lake. He dug his claws into the tree bark, trying to standing up straight and failing miserably.

Goosepaw continued to move forwards, eventually reaching the end of the tree trunk. He stepped carefully into the island, before looking back. Scorchpaw stepped on confidently, padding across the tree trunk. He gave Goosepaw a smile, "I could have easily fallen off." Scorchpaw told Goosepaw. Goosepaw doubted that, and was very surprised when he picked up his brother's fear scent. Scorchpaw, scared? He's the bravest cat I know! Well, apart from Dawnpaw.

Fuzzypaw seemed about as confident as Goosepaw when crossing the fallen tree, and he was relieved he had found a friend as insecure as himself - she was someone he could relate to. Fuzzypaw had shuffled about halfway across the fallen tree before she froze, fear flashing in her eyes as she stared at something behind Goosepaw.

Goosepaw turned around to see Bluetail standing there, laughing. He had never seen Bluetail laugh in his life, and he could tell it was a mocking laugh.

He couldn't make out Bluetail's words, but they were clearly upsetting Fuzzypaw. She stepped forwards, before losing her grip on the tree, and falling straight into the lake.

"Fuzzypaw!" Goosepaw yowled, earning himself a weird glance from Bluetail, who seemed very surprised to see him talk. He headed straight into the lake, pushing his fears aside. He wasn't the only one scared of swimming. Fuzzypaw was, too!

Scorchpaw had already leaped into the lake. He turned to Fuzzypaw, "Let me save her!" He told Goosepaw, but Goosepaw shook his head. We'll do this together.

Goosepaw swam weakly, losing his confidence as he saw Scorchpaw pushing powerfully ahead, leaning against Fuzzypaw and supporting her. As he did so, Goosepaw saw his brother weaken a little, struggling to reach the island. Goosepaw quickened his pace slightly, reaching the other side of Fuzzypaw and leaning against her. Together, the three apprentices managed to make it to dry land.

Bluetail had watched the entire thing. "That was pathetic!" he sneered, "Blind eye, you nearly got your friends drowned! Two more cats you would have murdered, hmm?"

Does Bluetail blame Fuzzypaw for Ravenflight's death, or is she just being mean?

Scorchpaw glared at Bluetail. "You're a warrior," he told her. "You should be more mature than this."