Chapter Thirty Seven

Goosepaw stared at the lake, trying not to blink. Scorchpaw, who had technically passed his assessment, was practicing battle moves a few foxlengths away with Tigerstripe. This time, he didn't have his brother keeping him company and being beside him as he took his warrior assessment.

He imagined Fuzzytuft next to him, clumsily grabbing at fish in the water. He imagined her tail over his shoulders. He even imagined her laughing, like, for real, like he could hear it. But he didn't even know what it sounded like. He didn't know what sound sounded like. He didn't know what sound really was.

No wonder Lilyspots thinks I'm so weird.

Then, a fish swam by. He grabbed at the fish in the water, and to his delight, he was able to drag it onto the ground. It started slipping back towards the lake, and he quickly killed it.

I did it!

He focused on the lake again, not expecting another fish to come along for a while, so when another fish darted by almost straight after Goosepaw had caught the first, he hadn't been expecting it. His paw splashed into the water, and the fish was already far away.

Turning to his side, he imagined Fuzzytuft encouraging him. Just catch two fish. It's Leaf-Bare, Oakfang and Whitestar will be lenient. I have to believe that.

Then, came a time without barely any fish appearing. He felt like falling asleep. He had heard that on a patrol yesterday, Fuzzytuft had nearly fallen asleep. He wondered how hard warriors worked for that to happen. Poor Fuzzytuft, and she got sent on another patrol today. Bluetail isn't letting her rest or take it easy.

That made him scared to become a warrior. As an apprentice, there really were less responsibilities, at least in Goosepaw's opinion. But he had so many reasons to become a warrior, and that was why he kept fighting for it.

Suddenly, a fish appeared. Goosepaw, feeling more determined than ever, quickly grabbed at it. He dragged it to the ground, and killed it swiftly. Two catches!

After that, Goosepaw struggled to concentrate. He'd either be daydreaming about Fuzzytuft, or worrying about how difficult being a warrior would be. He missed two fish, and felt rather embarrassed about that.

Eventually, Oakfang padded over to him, nosing his apprentice away from the lake. The assessment's over. Scorchpaw passed with three catches. Will two be enough?

The four cats headed back to camp. Scorchpaw padded at Goosepaw's side all the way. He turned to him. "Two fish? That's good enough! Whitestar's a kind cat. He thinks a good heart is more important than strength when it comes to being a warrior."

Goosepaw was relieved that Whitestar was his leader. He was a very kind and merciful cat, but he was tough when he needed to be. He knew that sooner or later he would order another attack on ShadowClan. Whitestar had never been a pushover, just a well meaning cat who wanted all four Clans to be happy.

Entering the camp, he found that Fuzzytuft and Dawnwhisker were already waiting for him, much to his delight. His blue eyes met Fuzzytuft's green, and he felt embarrassed, remembering how he had thought about her so much during his assessment.

"Welcome back!" Dawnwhisker meowed, giving Goosepaw a playful nudge that nearly knocked him straight off his paws. Her green eyes gleamed with amusement. That's just Dawnwhisker playing. In battle, she's super strong! No one should ever mess with her.

Fuzzytuft was examining Goosepaw's catches. Both of the fish were fairly small, which upset him a little, but the grey she cat was smiling. "I think Whitestar will make you a warrior. He's a kind cat, and if he made me a warrior," she pointed at herself, mouth moving in a laugh, "Then there's no reason why he shouldn't make you one."

Everything the tabby said made sense, but Goosepaw was forgetting about logic, replacing it with fear. He stared at the ground, imagining Whitestar and Oakfang telling him he had failed again. It would be so embarrassing. Lilyspots only failed her assessment once, and then she became a warrior because she nearly gave up her life for me! Catching two fish is nothing compared to that.

Whitestar and Oakfang emerged from the leader's den, and Whitestar let out a yowl. The Clan started to gather around him.

Is he going to force me to be a medicine cat? Will he send me to the elders' den? The white tom's paws trembled with fear, and he felt Fuzzytuft's tail on his back, comforting him. He then felt Dawnwhisker placing her paw on his shoulder. Scorchpaw pressed against him comfortingly, his body shaking as he purred.

Whitestar began to speak, more slowly than usual. And what he said only scared him more. "Goosepaw, step forwards."

He stepped forwards, almost expecting to trip in front of the whole Clan or something. Lilyspots would never shut up about that.

"I, Whitestar, leader of RiverClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn." The white tom spoke so slowly, so it was very clear to Goosepaw, yet he still doubted himself. He had to be just imagining things.

Whitestar continued to speak. "Goosepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Goosepaw shivered. He was terrified of letting his Clan down, and he almost felt like immediately changing his mind after mewing, "I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Goosepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Goosewing. StarClan honors your intelligence and kindness, and we welcome you as a full warrior of RiverClan."

Goosewing. The name almost didn't feel real to him. He was a warrior. He glanced in the direction of his mother. He could see both horror and fury in her eyes. He turned back to Whitestar, feeling Whitestar place his muzzle on his head. Shakily, he licked Whitestar's shoulder. Everything seemed like a dream. Well, maybe it was a nightmare. He couldn't be sure yet.

Next, it was Scorchpaw's turn. Goosewing's eyes were fixed on his brother. He had waited for so long to become a warrior, and Goosewing knew he deserved it so very much.

Whitestar spoke more quickly, and Goosewing focused on the leader, wanting to understand as much of his brother's warrior ceremony as possible.

Scorchpaw stepped forwards, and then Whitestar spoke. "I, Whitestar... of RiverClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He... trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I... him to you as a... his turn."

Scorchpaw's eyes were huge and shining. He kneaded the ground with excitement. He showed none of the fear Goosewing had shown during his warrior ceremony. Why should he? He's always been confident and he's always trusted himself.

"Scorchpaw, do you... to uphold the warrior code and to... your Clan, even at the... of life?" Whitestar asked.

Scorchpaw meowed something in reply, before briefly giving Goosewing a huge smile.

Goosewing caught Whitestar smiling too. He supposed it was a well known fact in the Clan that Scorchpaw had only put off his warrior ceremony for Goosewing's sake. Goosewing was glad that all the Clan now knew how amazing and caring his brother was.

Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your... name. Scorchpaw... on you will be known as Scorchheart. StarClan honors your courage and patience, and we... you as a... warrior of RiverClan."

Whitestar rested his muzzle on the ginger tom's head, and Scorchheart licked the leader on the shoulder.

Scorchheart. That name suits him.

Looking around the Clan, he could see them yowling. Glancing at Dawnwhisker and Fuzzytuft, he could see them yowling, "Goosewing! Scorchheart!"

Then he saw Flamefeather, also yowling, "Scorchheart! Goosewing!"

And then he met Sheepcloud's eyes. She was yowling too. She was yowling a name. "Scorchheart!"

Getting his warrior name and barely passing his assessment wasn't enough. Goosewing would never be a warrior in his mother's eyes.