Chapter Seventy Six

The Gathering had recently passed. Goosewing hadn't attended, but Whitestar had reported that the Clans had decided to try again to rid ShadowClan of the foxes. And this time, they would succeed.

No one would be returning to their camps until the foxes were dead, or out of Clan territory.

Goosewing felt sympathy for the foxes. They needed to live somewhere, and if they weren't so violent towards the cats, perhaps they could have stayed with the Clans. But this was what things had come to. The foxes needed to get off of Clan territory, or die.

More cats had come to ShadowClan territory this time, all of them ready to fight to the death. It was almost as though all four Clans were gathered in ShadowClan territory, though really, the leaders had left several of their cats behind to guard the camps, and protect the queens, elders and kits.

Goosewing stood with Scorchheart and Flamefeather. He could see Dawnwhisker standing further ahead, next to Whitestar. Oakfang stood on the other side of Whitestar, clearly nervous about his new position as deputy.

Goosewing scanned the ShadowClan cats, and was relieved when he realised that Thornstrike stood beside his leader. Several of his Clanmates were glaring at him, but the brown tom didn't even glance in their direction. Thornstrike briefly made eye contact with the white tom, but broke it immediately.

He must stay loyal to his Clan. He may have helped me, but he's still a ShadowClan cat, and he must be more desperate than ever to prove his loyalty to them. I understand.

Goosewing was pleasantly surprised that Lizardstar had decided not to exile Thornstrike, and it seemed that he was still her deputy, from the way he proudly stood beside the older black she cat. Thornstrike's apprentice, Russetpaw, stood on the other side of him, looking as aggressive as usual.

"This is it," Snowstar meowed. "Today, we will get... of those foxes."

The gathered cats started yowling triumphantly, eyes shining with excitement.

"Most of you will be staying in ShadowClan territory, where most... foxes are," Lizardstar explained, eyes gleaming. "Several of you will be ready to fight from RiverClan and ThunderClan territory, and a very small amount of... will be sent to WindClan, just in case the foxes reach that far."

The gathered cats nodded.

The four leaders moved closer together, discussing something. Dawnwhisker turned around briefly, looking at Goosewing. Goosewing looked away, trembling.

He felt a paw on his shoulder, and he turned around, surprised to see Badgerpelt and Hailheart had left their own Clanmates to come over to him.

"Did you get into an argument with the scary one there?" Badgerpelt smiled.

Goosewing nodded hesitantly.

Hailheart looked amused. "She looks... a snappy one. I'm not surprised."

Badgerpelt turned to his mate, grinning, before turning back to Goosewing, "Hailheart may seem sweet, but even she gets grumpy sometimes," his eyes sparkled. "Don't worry. It's natural to argue. I can tell she really cares about you."

Goosewing felt a rush of embarrassment. Was it possible that Dawnwhisker still cared for him? He looked at his paws, and when he looked up again, Badgerpelt and Hailheart had gone to stand with the ThunderClan cats again.

I should have thanked them. Their relationship made me realise I could never love Fuzzytuft the way she should be loved.

The leaders were now addressing their own Clans. Whitestar had turned to RiverClan, and was calling out names. Goosewing understood almost everything he was saying, but was still worried he would miss his own name, but then he saw it, "Goosewing, ShadowClan territory."