Chapter Seventy

Goosewing couldn't help but wonder how many times he had been prodded awake in the middle of the night.

But this time, he was awoken by Thornstrike.

The brown tom was looking down at him, seriousness in his amber eyes. Goosewing felt a rush of fear. What did ShadowClan's deputy want?

Thornstrike didn't say a word, leading the way out of the warriors' den. Leaving the camp, Thornstrike meowed something to Jayflight, who was guarding the camp, and then they continued to walk.

Once they were a safe distance away from Jayflight, Thornstrike turned to Goosewing. "I told Jayflight we were going to go search for Scorchheart. He won't dare argue with his deputy, anyway." His eyes gleamed in the darkness, and he smiled a scary, toothy smile.

Goosewing didn't say anything, just nodding shakily.

Thornstrike faced him, placing a paw on his shoulder. "So, Fuzzytuft told you the truth."

Goosewing didn't doubt that the brown tom knew what he was talking about, but he still decided not to give in too easily. "The truth?" He asked, wondering if his voice sounded innocent enough.

To his relief, Thornstrike seemed genuinely confused. "You know... about... everything! She said she told you."

Goosewing didn't look Thornstrike in the eyes as he answered, "I don't know what you're talking about."

ShadowClan's deputy looked rather surprised, but then, he calmed down. "It doesn't matter, anyway. If she hasn't told you, it's time I did," his tail swished a little. "Fuzzytuft killed her sister, and Bluetail, and your mother."

No use in lying now.

Goosewing nodded. "I know."

Thornstrike smiled a little. "You had me fooled. You're just as smart as her," he added, "And I know that your mother was the one who saved my little brother. I know about how she treated you, just because you're deaf. She really redeemed herself, saving a blind kit, after that. He was given a chance to be a warrior, you know."

Goosewing was pleasantly surprised. He had expected the worst, and had believed that Nightpaw had been forced to train as a medicine cat. He knew that medicine cats were incredibly important, but Goosewing doubted that there was any use in a medicine cat who didn't truly want to be one. They would lack passion, after all.

He simply smiled in response, and Thornstrike smiled back. "But Nightpaw wanted to train as a medicine cat anyway. If your mother hadn't saved him, he wouldn't be training as a medicine cat or a warrior now."

Goosewing felt a pang of grief as he remembered Sheepcloud, and dug his claws angrily into the ground. He wasn't sure whether he was angry at Sheepcloud, or angry at Fuzzytuft.

Thornstrike continued to speak. "I just wanted to ask... are you really okay with what Fuzzytuft is doing?"

Goosewing hesitated. He didn't know whether to trust Thornstrike. If he said anything, would Thornstrike repeat it to Fuzzytuft?

What would Fuzzytuft do if she found out?

Deep down, Goosewing doubted she would do much, apart from try to convince him more that her ideas were good, reminding him that she was protecting him, and only becoming leader so the Clan would be peaceful and respectful of everyone. He knew that she wouldn't try to hurt him. Goosewing didn't understand why he deserved to be loved so deeply.

Hesitantly, he shook his head.

Thornstrike nodded. "That's all I wanted to know. We can head back now," his eyes shone brightly. "And I will look for your brother. I will find him."

Goosewing wasn't sure why, but there was something about Thornstrike's determined expression that almost made Goosewing want to trust him. But that was fishbrained, wasn't it?

They headed back to camp, Thornstrike explaining to Jayflight that Goosewing had gotten very tired, so there was no sense in looking for Scorchheart anyway. Then, the two toms returned to the warriors' den.

As Goosewing curled down in the unfamiliar nest, sleep suddenly came to him more quickly.

He felt something strange.

Thornstrike's eyes had reassured him and given him hope he hadn't felt in moons.