Chapter Seventeen

It wasn't like Goosepaw to break the rules, but tonight was different.

Sheepcloud had started screeching and going crazy. She had been threatening Mossfur to make Goosepaw her apprentice. Now, Sheepcloud was on apprentice duties. The entire Clan seemed mistrustful of her, though Flamefeather still stayed by her side. He didn't seem to be happy about the way she acted, but he was still loyal to his mate all the same.

Goosepaw was sick of it. Mossfur had nearly gotten hurt because of him. Just because he was deaf. He sneaked out of the back of the camp. He wanted to sit by the side of the lake, so he could think about the fun he had had when he had hunted there with Fuzzypaw. That had been almost three moons ago, but it still had stayed in his head.

In the last three moons, Scorchpaw had been requesting to train with Goosepaw a lot more frequently. It had limited the amount of time Goosepaw could spend with Fuzzypaw. Though of course, he valued his brother over his friend, he found it hard to stop thinking about Fuzzypaw.

He didn't understand what was going on. Whenever he thought about the fluffy she cat, he nearly tripped over his own paws. Whenever he thought about Fuzzypaw, he started smiling. It was really weird, and embarrassing.

The lake was in sight, and so was the familiar small shape of Fuzzypaw. What's she doing here?

He almost felt nervous approaching her. He didn't know why he was less confident around his denmate than before. It didn't make sense. He tried to push his nervousness away. Fuzzypaw hasn't changed. You have.

He gently nudged Fuzzypaw on the shoulder to let her know that he was there without even saying a word. The little she cat turned around and smiled at him. She patted the ground next to her with one of her tiny paws, encouraging him to sit down.

For a while, no one spoke. Goosepaw was fine with that. Being deaf, silence was all that ever surrounded him. If Fuzzypaw just didn't say anything, he didn't have to pay attention to what shapes she made with her mouth. He could just gaze into the distance.

Goosepaw stared at the lake. It was Leaf-Bare now, and the Clan feared the lake might freeze over, meaning they couldn't hunt there. Goosepaw really hoped that didn't happen.

He glanced at Fuzzypaw, and was stunned to see the grey tabby staring at him. She immediately looked away when he looked at her, and Goosepaw turned away too.

The white tom decided to try something. He kept looking down at the lake, pretending it was the most interesting thing he had seen in his life. And then he would look at Fuzzypaw.

She's staring.

One.

Two.

Three times.

Fuzzypaw touched his shoulder with her tail, and he turned to her. He almost turned away instinctively when he saw her looking at him, before he saw her moving her mouth.

"Are you mad at Sheepcloud?"

That was a good question, but Goosepaw already knew the answer. He shook his head.

He could never be mad at Sheepcloud. She was his mother, and he loved her with all his heart. He still feared that Sheepcloud was ashamed because of her deaf son, but he was trying to ignore that. She treated Scorchpaw and Flamefeather lovingly, which was more important to Goosepaw than the way that she treated him.

Fuzzypaw looked confused. "But she's trying to force you to be something you're not."

Goosepaw felt a lot of pity for Fuzzypaw. We both have family members who treat us in a way we don't like just because we're different.

He didn't answer, simply moving closer to Fuzzypaw. Their pelts were touching. Her fluffy fur felt soft compared to his own short fur. He never wanted to move away.

He was deaf, and Fuzzypaw was blind in one eye.

He had a scar across his face, she had a scar across her eye.

They were both struggling with their training, struggling with bullying and struggling with confidence.

That was that.

Goosepaw lost track of the time they sat there. They didn't need to use words. It was the most comforting feeling.

But Goosepaw knew he needed to return to reality.

To a mother who threatened her own Clanmates.

To bullies.

To a life where things weren't right.

The two apprentices headed back to camp, but then Goosepaw realised someone had been watching them the whole time.

Lilypaw.

The grey speckled she cat raced away from her sister and her friend. She was slow, but Goosepaw and Fuzzypaw were slow too.

Goosepaw tripped over his own paws, and Fuzzypaw turned around, heading back over to him. She docked her head to the side. She's asking if I'm okay.

He gave her a nod.

The two of them headed back to camp, knowing it would be impossible for them to catch up with Lilypaw now.

Sheepcloud, I'm sorry that you feel like you have to treat me the way that you do.

And Fuzzypaw, I'm sorry your sister treats you like foxdung. You deserve so much better.