Chapter Seventy Three

The ground lurched beneath Goosewing's paws.

This was all planned!

Thornstrike launched himself straight into the nearest tree, eyes widening as the foxes ran straight at Goosewing and Fuzzytuft.

Time seemed to slow down. In the tree next to Thornstrike, there was another ginger shape.

Scorchheart.

The ginger tom was staring straight at his brother, fear in his eyes as the foxes ran at him.

"Brother!" Goosewing called out. He knew that Dawnwhisker had referred to him as quiet, but in that moment, he could feel his body shaking, his throat hurting.

His voice was loud.

Goosewing fled from the fox, briefly making eye contact with Thornstrike. It was enough time to see the brown tom's paw was outstretched, reaching to him.

He was trying to save Goosewing.

The white tom hesitated, and he turned around, facing Fuzzytuft, who was behind him.

"I'm not getting up there until you do. You know I'll die for you. We would die for eachother, but I'll die first." There was nothing but love in Fuzzytuft's green eyes.

Goosewing grabbed Thornstrike's paw, then waited for Thornstrike to reach out for Fuzzytuft.

But instead, he turned to Goosewing. "Your choice."

Everything around Goosewing turned black.

Thornstrike had planned everything. He had brought Fuzzytuft here just so Goosewing could choose between saving her and letting her die.

One of the foxes had grabbed Fuzzytuft, pinning her to the ground while the other fox slashed at her good eye.

Fuzzytuft mewed.

"I trust that you'll save me. You always made your love clear."

No, no, no.

Goosewing tried to think about Lilyspots and Sheepcloud, and how evil they were, but he couldn't.

What's wrong with me? They're evil! They're evil!

He looked back at Thornstrike. "Hailheart and Badgerpelt."

Goosewing found himself thinking about the two ThunderClan cats he had befriended at Gatherings.

They were in love, but they had always been ready to disagree with eachother.

They hadn't needed to be together the whole time. They were just in love, and knowing that was enough for them.

But would that ever be enough for Goosewing and Fuzzytuft?

Goosewing looked at the other tree, where Scorchheart sat on one of the top branches, looking rather calm now that his brother was safe.

I have Scorchheart back. The only reason I lost my brother in the first place was because I was too loyal to Fuzzytuft.

And then there was one thought stronger than all the rest.

Fuzzytuft killed my mother.

All Sheepcloud had ever wanted was to protect her son. She had never had any bad intentions.

Goosewing turned back to Fuzzytuft. Her entire body was covered in blood, her ears torn, her face barely recognisable.

"You killed so many cats!" He called out to her.