Chapter Thirty

The cat in the picture looks a bit like Lilyspots. Lilyspots has more white on her underbelly though, and her eyes are a paler blue.

Bramblepelt and Rippleheart crashed into the camp. Goosepaw could see the terror in their eyes and their bristling pelts. Goosepaw could also see that Rippleheart was covered in scratches and that there was blood gushing out of his shoulder. Bramblepelt looked less hurt, but there was a scratch on his cheek and his ear was bleeding.

Then, Ashpelt entered the camp. He was bleeding a little bit from the neck, and he limped as he walked. He dragged along a limp body.

Foxtail.

Whitestar was out of his den in an instant, running towards Ashpelt. He nudged his deputy desperately.

Lilyspots followed Whitestar, and sniffed at Foxtail's body. She then turned to the Clan, and yowled something.

Goosepaw docked his head to the side, not able to understand what the young warrior was saying. Lilyspots stared at him, and stalked over. "Foxtail is alive," she told him. "But needs help. It would really be nice if there was a second medicine cat." She narrowed her eyes at him, then padded over to talk to Bramblepelt and Rippleheart.

Mossfur rushed out of the medicine cat den, eyes huge with worry. She helped Ashpelt carry Foxtail's body to her den. Lilyspots, Oakfang and Tigerstripe helped support Bramblepelt and Rippleheart.

Whitestar was already gathering the Clan. Goosepaw was about to go sit with Scorchpaw, but then he spotted Fuzzytuft. She flicked her tail, encouraging him to sit with her. Giving his brother an apologetic glance, Goosepaw headed over to sit next to Fuzzytuft. He didn't know what to do. His heart beat so much faster when he was around her, and he felt himself smiling like an absolute fishbrain.

Whitestar then began to speak, and Goosepaw focused. He knew that the more he practiced, the easier he would find it to understand what others said.

"...attack, three... them, and Foxtail is badly hurt," he paused. Goosepaw could see the fear in his leader's eyes. "...speak with ShadowClan."

Goosepaw turned to Fuzzytuft, not quite understanding.

"Three foxes crossed the border," she told him. "Foxtail is badly hurt. Whitestar wants to speak with ShadowClan about it."

The foxes are coming from ShadowClan territory, but Lizardstar doesn't want to admit that because it would make her Clan look weak. There were probably just a few foxes to start with, but then the strong fox scent coming from their territory could have attracted more foxes, thinking it's a safe place for them to live. There might even be pups there.

Bluetail stepped forwards, meowing something, and Whitestar gave a nod, meowing in response, "Only three... don't want... like a threat."

Goosepaw turned to Fuzzytuft again.

"Bluetail thinks a patrol should be sent to ShadowClan as soon as possible. Whitestar only wants to send three cats so that we don't look like a threat."

Then, Whitestar started calling out something. Goosepaw didn't manage to understand, but could guess by the cats stepping forwards that he was announcing the cats who would be joining the patrol. Oakfang, Tigerstripe and Hollyheart.

The more gentle cats in the Clan. He knows that Bluetail would probably start a fight the moment she gets angry.

Whitestar continued to speak. "...dusk patrol. So travel quickly."

Fuzzytuft meowed, "They need to travel quickly to meet ShadowClan's dusk patrol."

Oakfang dipped his head to his leader, leading the patrol out of the camp. Whitestar then dismissed the Clan.

Goosepaw trembled nervously. Three encounters with foxes. In the first encounter, Fuzzytuft lost her eye. In the second, Lionpaw died. Now the third... Foxtail is badly hurt. We need to help ShadowClan get rid of those foxes, or they could pose a danger to everyone.