Chapter Fifty Five

Goosewing blinked his eyes open, looking up to see a beautiful sunrise. His eyes widened.

How long was I asleep?

Heaving himself to his paws, he saw that Dawnwhisker sat a few foxlengths ahead of him, staring into the distance. Has she been awake all this time?

He padded over to her, gently nudging her shoulder. The tortoiseshell turned around, green eyes shining. "You're a sleepy one, aren't you? Do you feel better?"

Goosewing shrugged. His injuries still hurt, but he knew that Antdapple had helped his wounds heal at least a little bit. Dawnwhisker looked worried. "You can rest more, if you like."

"Dawnwhisker, have you had any sleep?" Goosewing asked. It seemed as though he had slept all night. Our Clan must be worried.

She shook her head, but simply grinned as if she had the energy to run and fight forever. "I don't need it. Why don't you go back to sleep?"

Her offer was tempting, but Goosewing knew better. Once they were home, Dawnwhisker had to get some sleep. Yes, she was very strong, but even the strongest cat couldn't stay powerful if they stayed awake forever.

"We should go back to our Clan. They probably think we've decided to join WindClan."

Dawnwhisker's eyes glinted with amusement. "Never! Let's get going then."

Goosewing nodded. He would go to quickly thank Antdapple if the medicine cat was awake, and then he would leave. He started padding towards Antdapple, but then realised the medicine cat was asleep. Goosewing would thank him at the Gathering if he got the chance to. He started heading towards the camp exit, but then realised that Dawnwhisker wasn't moving.

"Lay down again," she ordered. "Just rest for a few more moments."

Goosewing shook his head. "No, we need to go home," he narrowed his eyes at her. "And you need to sleep."

The tortoiseshell settled down on the ground, smirking at him. "I'm sleeping with my eyes open. Now, come down here. You're so tall, I can't even look you in the eyes." She teased.

Goosewing felt himself laugh, though of course he couldn't hear it. "The one time I'm smaller than you." Dawnwhisker was a huge cat.

Reluctantly, he settled himself onto the ground. Admittedly, he felt much better after he did so, but he was desperate to go back to his Clan. He needed to see his father and his brother, and Fuzzytuft.

Dawnwhisker was silent for a while, and Goosewing was about to rise to his paws and walk out of the camp regardless of whether she was following. He wondered whether WindClan would start stirring soon. Maybe he would get a chance to thank Antdapple after all.

"Look, I'm not going to try to make you feel happier than usual or act fake before I say this." Dawnwhisker meowed suddenly.

The white tom docked his head to the side, feeling confused.

She continued to speak. "I like you."

What?

Dawnwhisker's eyes shone with confidence. "And I don't care what you think. You won't make me feel bad for liking you. I don't think you'd even try. I like you because you're a kind cat. You're smart, you're merciful, and you understand how to look at the points of view of others," Dawnwhisker smiled. "If you don't like me, it's fine. I'd like to stay friends with you, as long as you're okay with it."

Goosewing's heart stopped beating for a moment. He found this very hard to believe, but the way Dawnwhisker's eyes shone, the way she grinned, it seemed so genuine.

Him and Fuzzytuft should have told the Clan about their relationship. He doubted Dawnwhisker would have confessed otherwise. But the only cat who knew about Fuzzytuft and Goosewing being together was Flamefeather.

"I'm sorry," Goosewing didn't know whether he should tell Dawnwhisker about Fuzzytuft, and he decided against it. "I can't be with you."

But Dawnwhisker seemed to understand. "Fuzzytuft." She answered. She was still smiling despite being rejected.

Goosewing felt a pang of guilt as he nodded. He trusted that Dawnwhisker wouldn't tell anyone. Poor Dawnwhisker... why didn't I just tell her I was with Fuzzytuft? I don't want to see a cat as great as her get hurt.

Dawnwhisker didn't look surprised at his nod. "I had a feeling you two were mates, but I didn't want to assume. You two are really sweet together. You're both shy, but comfortable around eachother. You've both suffered from bullying, from being different, but you can help eachother push past that."

Goosewing felt incredibly emotional. His mind was filled with thoughts of Fuzzytuft. He wanted to go home to see her. He rose to his paws, still feeling terrible for Dawnwhisker. He should have told her. She was being so mature about all of this, and maybe her acceptance of Goosewing's and Fuzzytuft's relationship was actually what broke him most. "Thank you. I'm really sorry. I really admire you and look up to you."

Dawnwhisker grinned. "It's impossible not to. But I have flaws as well, never forget. Love yourself."

Okay, Dawnwhisker. Name one good reason why I should love myself!

As they were about to leave, Antdapple rose to his paws. Dawnwhisker and Goosewing headed over to the medicine cat.

"Thank you for all you've done for us," Dawnwhisker smiled. "I'm guessing you're getting up early to look after the sick cats. Good luck."

Antdapple gave a nod. "And thank you for the goatweed. Travel safely."

The two RiverClan warriors left WindClan's camp. They walked in an awkward silence. Well, all Goosewing ever heard was silence, but there was something about this silence that seemed different.

Would Dawnwhisker still talk to me if I said anything?