Chapter Eighteen

Goosepaw was awoken by a paw roughly slamming his head.

Blinking open his eyes, he took a deep breath, his head ringing with pain. Lionpaw stood by his nest, a cruel smirk on his face.

Then he started speaking very fast.

Goosepaw shook his head, hoping Lionpaw would understand that it meant he didn't understand.

But Lionpaw just carried on talking.

"Umm... Lionpaw... you're talking too fast." Goosepaw mewed.

The young tom looked disgusted. "What's wrong with your voice?"

Goosepaw flinched. This was why he avoided speaking. He struggled with it, and he got the feeling his voice sounded weird. Lilypaw had commented on it several times.

Lionpaw realised he wasn't going to get a proper response and seemed satisfied enough that he had lowered Goosepaw's confidence. "Fuzzypaw likes you," he told Goosepaw. "She told me, and I decided to tell the whole Clan." He smiled.

Goosepaw felt the ground lurch beneath his paws. He knew what Lionpaw meant by 'like.' He wasn't naive.

Of course, Goosepaw liked Fuzzypaw in a friendly way. She was one of the nicest cats in the Clan and she was very supportive of him.

But did he like her in that way?

He started thinking about it, realising that he really did want to be close to Fuzzypaw. He wasn't sure how or why, but every time they touched, it just made him feel so much safer and so much more relaxed.

Goosepaw wanted to think about how he felt about Fuzzypaw a little more, but Lionpaw was staring at him. He looked excited. Then he ran out of the den, yowling something.

The white tom followed, and was not surprised at all to see that Lionpaw had immediately started talking with Lilypaw. The grey she cat smirked in Goosepaw's direction.

Lilypaw might have actually been the one Fuzzypaw told the secret to. Lionpaw's probably just covering for Lilypaw because otherwise she would bully him too.

Lilypaw padded over. "The entire Clan knows," she told Goosepaw. "You two really do suit eachother. Half blind and completely deaf. It's so sweet." She glanced at Lionpaw, and the ginger tom shouldered Goosepaw to the ground.

Goosepaw landing on the ground with a thump, and Lionpaw placed his huge paws on the apprentice. "You can't do anything better than Fuzzypaw," Lilypaw continued to speak. "Settle for her. Lionpaw says you like her back."

How did he guess?

Wait... do I actually like her back?

Is there any point in denying the truth when I know that I do?

"He smiled as soon as I mentioned blind eye's name." Lionpaw confirmed, his expression incredibly smug.

Foxtail padded over, grabbing Lionpaw by the scruff and carrying him away from Goosepaw effortlessly. If only I was as strong as our deputy. Foxtail then turned to Goosepaw, smiling as usual. Foxtail was a strong cat, but he was also very kind. "I was going to put you on the same patrol as Fuzzypaw, but it might be awkward," he mewed, looking sympathetic. "You can come with me, aOakfang, Bramblepelt and Lilypaw."

Goosepaw was okay with that. He knew he needed to confront Fuzzypaw eventually but he knew she would probably be very embarrassed right now, so he would give her a break for a little while. Not to mention that particular group of cats sounded okay besides Lilypaw, who he could put up with.