A Straight Line

"What do you mean there's no telling she will wake up?" I whispered. "Alex  said that it is likely." He choked out, his voice heavy with tears. I looked towards the bed, where Imra lay. She was having oxygen pumped to her lungs, and was being given fluids through her IV. Her broken bones were in casts, the gashes on her arms, legs, and face dressed with bandages. The place where the shrapnel had entered was covered with a white cloth, the bleeding wound on her forehead neatly stitched. Her face was peaceful, almost tranquil, she had no idea the trauma her body was going through. Alex entered the room, looking somber. She looked helpless, she had done as much as she could. My phone buzzed, it was Lena. "Hey Kara, are you okay? I heard about the building that came down." I sighed in relief, I thought I forgot something. "I'm fine, no one was really hurt." I bluffed. I went home later, and came back to check on Imra once a day. Mon El was constantly with her, holding her hand, talking to her.  Two weeks after the surgery, a miracle happened. Mon El, Alex, and I were inside, I was helping Alex with some medical files and Mon El was curled up in a chair, sleeping. It was late, close to midnight. Suddenly Imra's heartbeat picked up. I could hear the beeping on the EEG. As I drew closer to her, I noticed her eyes flutter open. "Mon El!" I called. "Imra's awake!" He rushed over, and repeatedly kissed her hand. Since she could breathe on her own now, Alex removed the oxygen mask. Imra looked at Mon El tearfully. "Listen babe, take care of the kids, and yourself, and and..." He cupped her face gently, interrupting her. "Don't talk like that. You are going to be just fine." She closed her eyes, a trace of a smile on her lips when suddenly her heart rate spiked and she began seizing. "ALEX!" I yelled. "ALEX!" She rushed into the Med Bay, a coffee in her hand, which she threw in the trash. She held Imra firmly down, when the beeping stopped. I glanced at the EEG. It showed a straight line.

*Sorry for the wait on the new chapter. I was on vacation for two weeks but I am back now!