19. sick day

"his eyes were glowing

"his eyes were glowing." scott said to chris.

after the party, they learned that chris had been attacked. allison was helping him and cleaning his cuts.

"there was something almost ritualistic about it. like it was looking right into his soul." chris explained.

"that's the same thing it did to me." isaac said.

"yeah, me too." rachel said.

"that's what they did to everyone." allison said.

"not everyone. they only came after the werewolves and vampire." scott pointed out.

"and lydia." allison said.

"and my sister, grace." rachel said.

"anyone with a connection to the supernatural." chris said.

"then who's the guy they went after in japan?" isaac asked.

"a kumicho. a yakuza boss. it was my first gun deal. i was only 18 and it was supposed to be a simple exchange. except gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being yakuza. he wanted to see if i could adapt in the moment. testing my ability to improvise." chris explained.

"or your ability to survive." allison said.

"the moment the sun went down it was like they just materialized out of the shadows. they had swords, not curved like katanas. but straight, black steel. like ninjatos." chris said.

"what do they want?" scott asked.

"to get to the kumicho. they cut down every living thing in their way." chris said.

"did they mark him like they did us?" isaac asked.

"not exactly." chris said.

"what was he?" scott asked.

"i don't know. but there might be someone who does. there are a few others who survived that night. one of them was a man named katashi... they called him sliverfinger because of an unusual prosthetic. and it looked like he was getting ready to take them all on himself. i've known for a while katashi was in the country. i spent yesterday tracking him down." chris told them.

"didn't look like he wanted to be found." isaac said.

"not particularly, no." chris replied.

"you think he knows what they are? or what they want?" scott asked.

"maybe." chris replied.

"what if he doesn't wanna talk?" allison asked.

"what if he doesn't even remember you?" isaac asked as chris got up and walked over to a box.

"he'll remember this." chris said showing what was inside the box.

it was pieces from that mask of whatever had attacked isaac, rachel, aiden, lydia and grace.