21. big deal

scott and rachel were at their locker while lydia waited for them and they noticed that lydia jumped

"are you okay, lydia?" rachel asked her.

"yeah. i'm just a little hyper sensitive to loud sounds today." lydia said as she flinched again.

"they're doing tests on stiles all afternoon. me and rachel were gonna go there around six to visit. you wanna come with us?" scott asked her.

"i should probably just go home." lydia said as she jumped again.

"lydia, are you sure you're okay?" rachel asked her.

"yeah. i'll text you guys later." lydia said before she walked out of school.

scott and rachel both looked at each other and exchanged a look.

-

rachel walked into the room where they were doing the scans. scott and rachel were standing beside stiles who was sitting in a hospital gown on top of the scanning machine.

the doctor was talking with his dad and melissa.

"i'm not sure how to pronounce this or if it's not actually a misspelling." the doctor said referring to stiles' real name.

"just call him stiles." his dad told the doctor.

"okay. stiles, just to warn you, you're going to hear a lot of noise during the MRI. it's due to pulses of electricity going through metal coils inside the machine. uh, if you want we can get you some earplugs or headphones." the doctor told him.

"oh, no, no, i don't need anything." stiles replied.

"hey, we're just on the other side of that window. okay?" his dad said.

"okay." stiles replied. stiles' dad gave him a smile as stiles patted him on the shoulder.

the doctor, stiles' dad and melissa walked out of the room leaving just stiles, rachel and scott.

"you know what they're looking for, right? it's called frontotemporal dementia." stiles said making rachel and scotts hearts sink.

"areas of your brain start to shrink. it's what my mother had. it's the only form of dementia that can hit teenagers. and there's no cure." stiles said as all three teens stayed silent and looked down at the ground.

"stiles, if you have it, we'll do something. i'll do something." scott said.

stiles nodded and scott and stiles hugged each other tightly causing rachel to let some tears fall.