16: Make up for it

Thank you so much for reading this! 

As I approached Wanda's white oak door, I heard her crying softly. This wasn't new, anyone who walked past Wanda's room was accustomed to hearing her cry.

I knocked, and she gave a sharp sniffle. "Come in," she said from within, her voice muffled.

I pushed the door open with its usual soundless whoosh, and smiled at her.

She sat on her bed, photograph in hand and oversized sweater over her shoulders. That photo, everyone now knew, was of her parents. Her sweater was a gift from Pietro, who's alive and well, but she still gets lonely.

Wanda hugged her sweater tighter to her, smiling through tears.

"Hey babes," I whispered with a smile as I walked toward her bed.

She sniffled, her gorgeous smile fading. "H-hey."

I sat next to her, studying her pretty face. She looked ready to burst into tears again, so I held out one arm, and she fell onto my lap.

I stroked her hair as she cried soundlessly. "It's okay Wanda."

"I miss them," she sniffled.

I continued doing this as my thoughts consumed me.

Loki and Thanos. What was that about? Was Thanos still a threat to Loki?

I didn't realize how long I'd been sitting here for until Loki came looking for me.

"Darling, are you quiet finished in here yet?" He asked from the doorway.

I jumped, and Wanda hid her face. "Yes Loki, I'm coming. Give me a minute."

Loki left, and Wanda sat up. "I'm sorry," she muttered.

I pulled her face to me and kissed her nose and forehead. "Don't apologize, you're sad. I understand."

She smiled sadly again and squeezed my hand.

I stroked her cheek. "You can tell me anything you need, I'm here for you, okay?"

She nodded a little, but she wasn't responding. She wasn't ready to talk yet.

"You're sleepy, go to bed," I whispered, standing up. Wanda grabbed my hand as I turned away though, saying, "Loki told me that...when you were asleep...if you didn't wake up, he didn't know what he'd do."

I paused to think about what that meant.

"He said you were the only reason he was still here. Thor gave up on him...so he's here for you," Wanda coughed a little. "I was surprised to hear him say that. He wasn't the only one, either."

I nodded. "Thanks Wanda. Get some sleep," I gave her hand a squeeze and walked out of her room pensively, shutting the door behind me. I was so deep in my thoughts I hadn't noticed the person on the other side.

Loki stood, leaning his back on the wall, on the opposite side of the hall from me.

He scared me.

I held one hand over my heart as it pounded from the scare, leaning on Wanda's door. "Loki," I paused. "You scared me!"

He shrugged.

Twerp. "Hey, Loki......I'm sorry I..you know..went into a coma..for five months," I muttered to the floor.

He seemed intrigued as to why I was apologizing. "Well, I was more surprised by the abilities you concealed."

I hadn't thought of that. "You've got a point."

I sighed and pushed myself away from the door, meandering down the hall once again to my room, Loki soundlessly trailing behind me.

"Will you..show me your abilities again?" Loki requested as I stood in my doorway, hands on either side of the frame.

I pretended to consider it. "No."

He looked confused.

"Not until I get to see your smurf side," I added, and quickly shut the door.

I heard Bucky laughing outside.

I bit my nail and waited, hearing no noise I pulled the door open again.

Loki was still there.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

He looked highly unamused. "My what?!"

I gulped, and Bucky was no longer laughing. "Er...nothing," I shrugged uneasily.

He pushed the door open, and stepped inside, shutting it again so Bucky could no longer gawk. "Tell me what you said," he demanded cooly.

I gulped again. "Trust me Loki, you don't want me to repeat it."

"I don't want you to, or you just don't want me to hear it," Loki leaned down to my level.

I smiled cheekily. "Hi."

He growled a little. "Don't call me names."

I was fighting back laughter by now. "Yes my King."

His eyes rolled back into his head as he stood back up.

I was sniggering under my breath at this point. "You're so cute," I said through choked laughter.

Loki nodded. "Uh huh. I sure am."

I reached out to grab his collar. "And.." I tugged him back down to my level, looking him intensely in the eyes. "You haven't kissed me since I went into my coma. I think...you should maybe make up for that."

Loki's eyes flashed.

I smiled. "Make up for it, Loki."

He hesitated.

But soon enough, the gap between us that was killing me closed and he was finally kissing me again.

Once more, that feeling of odd euphoria filled some previously unknown void in me, and for the first time since I woke up from my stupid coma I was glad to be alive.

I didn't notice I let out a whimper, but he sure did.

He pulled back, smiling evilly. But that's not new, that's just how his smiles are. "Are you alright?" He asked through his smile.

I licked my lips. "Uh...I think."

My brain's normal thought process sorta derailed a moment previous, if that's what he meant.

He nodded. "Alright, so if I continue, you'll be okay?"

My eyes widened. "S-sure."