Chapter Twenty-Four

Disclaimer - All recognisable characters belong to their original owners. I do not make a profit from writing this; I simply do it for my own amusement. No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter Twenty Four

Bella

"We can't go charging in there Bella – Carlisle said to give them forty-eight hours, so forty-eight hours is what they're going to get," Jacob said, his tone exasperated. We've been having the same conversation for over an hour now and Jake refused to go and look for Edward.

"We can't just sit here and do nothing!" I reasoned back and Jake rolled his eyes.

"I'm not having this conversation with you again."

I turned to look at Rose, desperate for her to agree with me. She looked away. I felt a wave of annoyance flow over me; it wasn't Rose or Jake's partner who had been kidnapped; it wasn't Rose or Jake's partner who could be dead by now. It was mine – surely I had the right to say when we did something about it.

A silence fell over the kitchen, Rose refused to say anything and make the situation worse; Jake wasn't going to keep repeating himself to me, and I was just feeling childish, so I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at Jake.

Suddenly a howl echoed through the kitchen and Jake's eyes widened. Jake headed for the door as Rose sat up in a panic. Before Jake could open the back door, it flew open and Seth came running in, wearing only some cut off shorts.

"There are weres running up and down the border, they've crossed it a couple of times," he panted out, his face red and his eyes filled with panic. "There's so many of them Jake!"

"It's alright," Jake told him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We'll deal with them."

Seth nodded and headed back out the door, his feet making a 'thud' as he hit the ground, running in the direction of the woods.

"I'll be back," Jake told is as he began to back out of the door. Rose and I both nodded, neither of us saying anything as we watched him strip off his t-shirt, throw it to the ground and head in the same direction Seth had.

Rose shut the door behind him, worry crossing her face until she saw that my eyes had started to well with tears.

"It's alright B," she cooed as she placed an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into her side.

"They almost killed Edward, what if they hurt Jake and the pack too?"

"They won't – the werewolves are no match for the pack."

I wiped my eyes as I looked out the window. I didn't quite believe her. We both sat in silence for a few minutes, before Rose reluctantly pulled away.

"I have to use the bathroom, but then I'll be right back." I nodded and watched her leave the kitchen and head into her bedroom to her ensuite.

The doorbell rang and I swiped under my eyes a final time before standing up to answer it. We weren't expecting any parcels and I really didn't want to deal with Mrs Cope at the minute.

I opened the door to see a tall man stood there, long hair tied back in a ponytail, a beard on his face, wearing a white wife beater, tattered trousers and shoes that had been better days. His hands were in his pockets and he was looking around the porch.

"Can I help you?" I asked, aware that my face was probably all red from crying.

"I'm doing a survey of the local area and was wondering if I could ask you some questions."