Chap. 3

My dad arrives home just at dinner time and we all sit at the dinner table together. If Aaron didn't always have something to say, this dinner would have been pretty awkward.

I look up from my food, and make awkward eye contact with my father, immediately looking back down at my food.

"Tegan." I hear him say. "how was your day?"

"Fine."

"What did you do at school today?"

"Not much."

He rolls his eyes, looking back down at his food. My father and I never had a close relationship. We did when I was younger. But I grew up and grew out of my daddy's girl phase. Now, we don't do much together.

My father and brother talk for a while. About how things are in Michigan and what he's been doing in his classes.

After their conversation, the room falls silent again. The only sound is the sound of our forks hitting up against the glass plates.

Time goes by slowly, but eventually we're all excused from the table and I make my way upstairs. I walk into my room, closing the door and locking it behind me. I know my dad will want to talk to me, and if I don't reply, he'll think I'm sleeping. And he can't come in if my doors locked.

I find myself staring through the mirror. I sit on my bed, my legs crossed over one another. My hands are buried in my lap and my eyes have gone dark. My eyes start to tear up and eventually I start crying. But for nothing at all. I seem to do this all the time. I cry and cry for what seems like forever. I'm crying uncontrollably now. My whole face is now red.

I hear knocks at my door, and I quickly compose myself and stop crying. I don't say anything for a few seconds and the knocking comes back.

"Tegan, it's Brandon. Can I come in?"

I still sit silent, hoping he'll think I'm asleep.

"Tegan, I know you're awake. Your light is on."

Of course, I forgot to turn off the light. But I refuse to get up. I don't want to talk to anyone right now. But Brandon finds his way in with a bobby pin. He stares at me, with a worry look on his face.

"I really don't feel like-"

"Something's wrong with you, Tegan. I wanna know why."

"Nothing-"

"I'm your older brother. Please tell me."

I sit silent, looking down at my palms. He rolls his eyes and grabs my arm, pulling my sleeve up and revealing the scars underneath.

"You think I don't know why your wearing long sleeves in fall?"

"It's cold sometimes."

"Not cold enough for such big sweaters. And that's not the point. You're cutting yourself, Tegan."

"Stop being so loud." I say in a loud whisper.

"And those guys I saw you with, they're not your friends. They're bullying you, aren't they?"

"No."

"Tegan-"

"They are not bullying me, Brandon. I'm just- I just..." I doze off, wanting to burst into tears.

I'm completely and utterly embarrassed right now. I can't even look Brandon in the eyes anymore.

"Please get out."

He sits down on my bed, his touch just a bit more gentle. He wraps me in a hug, resting his chin on top of my head.

"I wanna help you, Tegan."