Chap. 13

Walking up to school the next day felt a little off for me. Mostly because I walked up to the doors with Shawn, because he insisted on walking me to my first class. I didn't mind his company, but I also felt like I would rather walk to my class by myself. But I didn't argue with him. I only smiled as he walked by my side into the school.

"So, I can sit next to you at lunch, right?" Shawn asks, as we approach my first hour class. I was surprised to hear that coming from him. I didn't know if he even knew what he was doing but I didn't question him about it. I didn't know if I even wanted to sit with him, or if I would rather sit by myself but, once again, I let my words have a mind of its own.

"Sure. . .yeah, we can sit with each other," I say, tightening my grip around my books.

He smiles at me, and looks down at his feet while letting out a small laugh, "Cool. See ya later, Tegan."

"Bye."

I never actually noticed how nice Shawn was being to me. But then again, he wasn't ever very mean to me. He just never talked to me. He ignored the way Lexi and them would treat me, and that would make me feel pretty awful about myself. But it was better than having Shawn torture me as well.

And I never noticed his smile. And the way his eyes sparkle every time he speaks to me. He has that kind of charm that leaves me wanting to know more about him. He's nice to me, and it makes me like him even more. More than I ever expected I would like him. But I like Shawn. I really admire the way he cares for others. He has me actually wanting to be his friend.

Pushing my thoughts aside, I take my seat towards the back of the classroom, grabbing the worksheets that we had been working on for the past few weeks.

The class went by slow for me. Most of the time I dozed off and stared at the posters on the wall while the teacher spoke about the importance of the atmosphere around Earth. During the times when I wasn't almost asleep, I was thinking about Shawn and what I am supposed to talk about at lunch today. I don't want him to think I'm boring, though I really am, but I couldn't think of at least one thing to talk about with him.

The more I thought about it, the more I just wanted to sit by myself. I appreciated him sitting with me, but I didn't ask him to. But the more I hung out with Shawn the more I got to know him. He's like that. He likes to make others happy. He'll do anything for anybody to make them smile. It's hard to believe that he hung out with Lexi.

Time went by slow, but I didn't mind because that gave me more time to think about what to say at lunch. But eventually, the bell rang and I found myself slowing walking over towards the cafeteria. I didn't know where to go, since I usually just take the first open spot I see, but with me walking at the pace that I did, most of the seats were already taken.

I walked around the cafeteria for a while before spotting Shawn at a table, looking down at his cell phone. I took a breathe before walking towards him and raking a seat across from him.

"Hey," he says, smiling as he turns his phone off and looks up at me.

"Hi," I sigh.

"You're not eating?"

I frowned looking down at my palms, realizing I must've left my lunch at home, "No, I forgot it at my house this morning and I don't have money to buy school lunch."

"Oh well, I can buy you a lunch," he says, getting up from his seat, "here, you have this one, and I'll buy another one."

"Oh no, Shawn it' alright, really. I'm not even that hungry."

He looked back at me and smirked, "Really, it's alright. You can't skip lunch."

Before I could say anything else, he took off towards the lunch line.