Chap. 8

I had somehow moved forward instead of backwards, my legs grudually moving closer towards them. All that I could hear was the raspy sound of my uneven breaths and the sound of my torn up shoes against the pavement. They stop before me, and I do the same, crossing my arms over my chest. I'm afraid to see what's going to happen next but I'm not backing away. Alex cocks her head to one side before spitting something evil out at me. I'm not able to hear anything they are saying to me, due to the fact that I am scared for my life at the moment. Thoughts of them throwing me to the ground flood my mind but immediately push it away.

It seems as if they are all thinking of something they can do to me, because they haven't said a word for the last few minutes. I want to say something to them but I'm frozen from fear.

And just like that, they turn and walk away.

Without saying another word.

They didn't touch me at all. Not even the slightest hit was thrown at me. I sigh in relief as I turn to find my mother's car speeding into the parking lot. It comes to a stop just before me and I slowly get into the front seat. She looks oddly calm for picking up her kid that just got suspended from school.

"Mom-"

"Just don't speak. We'll discuss this at home with your father."

I lean back into the car seat silently wishing I was on my bathroom floor, cutting deep cuts into my arm.

I could fall asleep in the car if I wanted to, and I almost do until we drive straight past the turn we usually take into our neighborhood. I quickly sit up staring over at my mother wondering what she is thinking.

"Mom, where are you going you missed your turn."

"No I didn't. We aren't going home." she says.

"Well where are we going?"

She doesn't answer so I lean back into my seat, assuming she's just going to stop by the grocery store on the way home.

Several minutes pass before we arrive at our destination. I feel the car jolt into a stop and I slowly open my eyes. The parking lot is almost full, with just a few more parking spots to spare.

I step out into the warm air and follow my mother who is walking the other direction. I immediately stop once I read the big letters above the entrance. Lakeview Center. Basically a mental hospital for the emotional depressed. I knew my parents were considering it but I never thought they'd actually pay for it. My mom turns to me, motioning for me to follow her.

"Mom no." I say, my voice cracking a bit. I feel tears behind my eyes but I force them to go away.

"You won't be alone. It's a group session. You need this, Tegan."

"Okay, I don't want a group of people knowing about my mental issues, Mom. It's none of their business."

"It's not like they're going to judge you, Tegan. They all have their own problems."

She walks off towards the building. I have no choice but to follow her, considering she is my ride home and I know she'll leave me in the middle of the parking lot if she has to.

The waiting room is full of kids just about my age or older. I politely smile at some as I make my way over to an open seat while my mother talks to the lady at the front desk. Slowly, I pull my headphones and phone out of my jacket and plug it in. I'm surprised when I see that I've gotten a text message. I only have a few contacts, and most of them is just my family.

I'm even more surprised when I see Shawn's name appear on the screen. My mother sits down next to me as I am opening up the text. It reads: "Are you okay?"