Chap. 6

I lay in my bed, still crying hard about everything that just happened. Everything around me has been silent for a long time until I hear the loud voice of my mother downstairs. Seconds later, my father responds to her with an even louder voice.

This whole situation is my fault. I'd much rather be at school right now then stuck in my room with my parents fighting downstairs.

After a couple of minutes, I hear several knocks at my door which don't stop untill I swing the door open. Brandon's bold eyes are looking into mine as I open the door wider so he can squeeze inside. He sits on the bed and I stand in front of him, looking down to the floor with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Are you okay?" Brandon's voice is weak, as if he has been crying too.

"Not at all." I say truthfully. "How can I be okay when I know that all of this is my fault?"

He looks up at me, his eyes are wide and I can feel tears start to roll down my cheeks.

"It's not your fault, Tegan. Stop saying that."

I look up, it looks like Brandon is about to cry. His cheeks are rosy red as he stares down at his palms. I decide to sit next to him, his large hands grabs hold of mine once I do. His grip is strong and I look up to see small tears start to form in his eyes.

"I'm about to pick up Aaron from school." he says, wiping his cheeks and sniffing. "Do you wanna come or stay?"

"I think I'll stay."

He nods before standing up and slowly walking out of my room. I'm left by myself, with the faint yells of my parents downstairs below me.

***

The next morning is quite calm. Birds chirp around me as I slowly make my way to the bus stop. I was hoping that Brandon would take me again to avoid the kids on the bus but he wasn't awake so I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.

I'm afraid to hear what Lexi will have to say to me. Afraid of what they'll do to me. Actually, afraid would be an understatement. I'm petrified. Shawn probably informed them about me hitting on him so who knows what they're gonna do with that information. The thought actually brings me to tears as I approach the bus stop. I don't want to go to school.

The hallways are crowded, as usual, as I try to make my way to my locker. The only thing on my mind is to avoid Lexi and her friends. There's no way I'll be able to survive the taunting today. My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of my name. I brace myself as I quickly turn to the voice. My eyes open to see Maya standing in front of me, a cheeky smile planted on her face.

A breath I didn't know I was hold in was released from my lungs and I close my eyes again, relieved to see Maya in front of me.

"Hey, Maya." I say, forcing a smile.

"Hey, you weren't at school yesterday. Are you alright?"

I hesitate, thinking of a believable lie to say. "Oh yeah...I had the stomach bug so my parents let me stay home."

"Oh...well I'm glad you're better." she smiles. "So I was-"

"Tegan!" she's interrupted by the high pitched voice that obviously belongs to Lexi. My eyes shut tight as I wish to be anywhere but here. I open them to see Lexi, inches from my face. Maya puts a hand over her mouth as she is shoved away by Austin.

My heart beat accelerates as I feel more eyes on us. I try to shove past them but Lexi shoves me up against the lockers. I wince in pain as her face gets closer to me once again.

"So I heard about you and Shawn."

Shawn stands behind Austin watching all of this. How could he tell such a lie to Lexi. Lexi will destroy me with this information.