Chap. 14

My feet dragged across the floor and down the stairs. My heart was pounding and I'm sure it was loud enough for the neighbors to hear. I was a nervous wreck. What if I did something stupid and Shawn didn't want to talk to me anymore?

Just take deep breathes, I told myself. But taking deep breathes didn't seem to help me at all. It seemed to make things worse, and made me even more nervous.

It seemed as if my whole world was shaking by the time I made it to the kitchen. My mother looked up from whatever she was doing at the table and her smile suddenly went wide.

"You look absolutely amazing, sweatheart!" she squealed squeezing me in a tight hug.

Both my brothers soon paused their video game and made their way towards the kitchen. Brandon smiled at me and Aaron came around the table to hug me as well. He didn't know why he was hugging me, I'm sure of that, but I liked it when he gave me hugs. It made me feel warm inside. Aaron was always happy, nothing could bring down his spirits. I wish I could be like him, always smiling and full of excitement.

Maya came over to my house to help me get ready, she curled my hair, did my makeup, and even painted my nails. She looked at me, and smiled wide before she pulled me into a tight hug.

"Enjoy yourself tonight, Tegan," she said to me. My mother, who was standing behind Maya, looked as if she was about to cry.

Soon enough, there was a knock at the door. My heart skipped a beat as my mother quickly went towards the door to answer it. I took deep breathes, standing up from my seat and slowly following my mom. I tried not to think about anything, but for some reason I kept imagining and thinking of the worst things. What if I made a fool of myself and Shawn didn't ever want to speak to me again? I mean, it could happen. I'm a pretty awkward person and I tend to do a lot of weird things a lot.

I shook the thoughts away as I walked forward towards the door. I forced my head up and immediately met eyes with Shawn's bold, brown ones. He smiled at me wide and for the first time in a long time I smiled back. Wasn't forced, it was a real smile, and it felt good.

I didn't really know what to say, it felt awkward with my brother behind me and my mother in front of me smiling like an idiot. My mom eventually wanted to take pictures, which I just went with because I knew it was coming. After what felt like ages of taking pictures, I was finally walked out to Shawn's car.

The first few minutes of the car ride was awkward, and I soon started to second guess everything. I stared out the window most of the time, but every now and then, Shawn would bring up a small conversation.

The car ride wasn't long, and soon I found myself walking into the doors of the theater with my arms locked with Shawn's. He bought us drinks, a large popcorn to share, and a bag of candy
for each of us. We sat in the back of theater, but we showed up rather early, so we had quite some time to kill.

"Hey, Tegan," Shawn said, turning his head over to face me. I jumped at the sound of my name, but quickly calmed myself, realizing it was only Shawn. I didn't know why I was so nervous. It was just like another night with my family, except it was with Shawn. With the guy who used to hang out with the people that completely dread my very existence. I told myself to calm down, and took deep breathes before looking over at Shawn.

"Y-yeah?"

"Thanks for hanging out. I haven't been out in a couple of weeks and it feels good to go out with a friend finally." he smiled at me, taking my hand and interlocking our fingers.

"Of course, Shawn. Thank you for actually wanting to hang out with me," I replied. I felt a little uncomfortable holding his hand and all, but I didn't say anything about it. I just smiled at him.

"You know," Shawn started, sighing and smiling at me, "I never really noticed what an amazing girl you are."

I felt my cheeks blazing red and I couldn't help but laugh at his comment, "I mean, you're an amazing person. So sweet to everyone even the people who don't deserve it. You're smart, you're quiet but that's okay because that's cute in a girl and I like that about you," he continued. I suddenly looked away, realizing that my cheeks were probably the reddest that red can be, "And you're absolutely beautiful."

I looked over at him, meeting his bold, brown eyes staring into mine. I've never been called beautiful by anyone besides my family before. I was dumbfounded, speechless, and happy all at the same time. No guy has ever been so nice to me before. I liked the feeling I was feeling. I think for once in a long time, I was actually happy.

"I. . . Shawn, thank you," I managed to say, my lips curving into a big smile. He continued to smile at me before he looked back at the movie screen.

I was still astonished by his words, but by the time the movie started, I had decided to just let it go and appreciate the compliment.

The movie went by fast, too fast for my liking. I enjoyed locking my hand with Shawn's and sharing several laughs with him during the movie. I didn't even really pay any attention to the movie. Most of the time, Shawn was talking to me or messing with the people in front of us, causing me to want to laugh. I tried not to laugh too loud, but sometimes I just couldn't help it. It felt good to laugh, though. And I especially liked that I was laughing with Shawn.

Shawn dropped me off at my house, and even walked me up to the house to say a proper goodbye, "I really had fun tonight," he smiled.

"So did I," I said, smiling like an idiot.

"We should do it again sometime."

"Totally."

He stared at me and smiled, and I smiled back, letting him interlock our fingers together. My heart seemed to start beating harder and faster when I saw his face move in closer to mine. He was staring at my lips, I could tell, but I was staring at his eyes. I let him move in closer before his soft lips brushed against mine. Our lips moved in a similar motion, and soon I felt his muscular arms wrap around my lower back. Self consciously, my arms made there way around Shawn's neck, and we stayed wrapped in each others arms for a few minutes before I pulled away.

I looked into his eyes and a small smirk slowly planted on his face. I bit my lip to keep me from smiling back like an idiot and slowly walked into my house, "goodbye, Shawn," I whispered, closing the door slowly and locking it.

--

a/n-- this is probably a really short chapter to you guys but i just wanted to update bc i haven't in like 8 years so here ya go !!! cover credit to my homie maya !! and thank you so much for almost 1k votes i love u guys !! <3