16

Chapter sixteen | Hush little baby

Kids are a blessing, they said.

Kids are treasures, they said.

Clearly whoever said this didn't have a baby who wouldn't stop screaming.

I had lost count of the hours as Bartholomew screamed and wailed. No amount of rocking or lullabies were helping the little one to settle and both Declan and I were about to lose our shit. It almost midnight and Bartholomew had been on and off crying all night. He had been fed, changed, given his pacifier. Nothing would fucking work for this damn toy.

  "Oh please make it stop." Declan groans softly, banging his head on the table.

"I'm trying!" I hissed as I rocked Bartholomew desperately.

"C'mon, you stupid toy," I murmured against his plastic cheeks, the echoes of sobs still in my ears, "Calm down just for one second, please." I rocked him gently and decided to start walking around the room, deciding to try and wake my legs up.

As I walked around the room in repeated circles, I continued to murmur in his ear, hoping my voice would drown out his.

It didn't.

His cries continued, almost in a louder tone, as if he were trying to drown me out. I sighed and focused on rocking him, a little bounce in my steps as I moved. This is exactly why I didn't want to participate in this stupid project, this is too fucking much for me.

"Oh my God, how long as he been at it?" Declan asked, coming up behind me, an annoyed look on his face. I glanced over my shoulder at the clock on the wall behind me.

"Almost two hours."

Declan came over and took Bartholomew from my hands, and I willing gave the little fucker up. Bartholomew continued to wail out, and I could see Declan becoming inpatient, his feet stomping against the floor as he rocked the baby.