19

Chapter nineteen | Finally

"So the baby got drugged and then you tried to return the drugs, but they got stuck and now the head is with the authorities?" Mr Kelly repeated what Declan and I had just explained to him and the entire class.

Declan rolled his eyes. "Well it of course it sounds crazy when you say it aloud."

I let out a sigh as I shook my head. This is so embarrassing. Declan, who stood beside me, looked so over it and who could blame him? We've had a long night and this conversation isn't making it any better.

"So you lost he head? Which mean you've damaged the doll?" Mr Kelly asked already knowing the answer.

"I wouldn't call it lost," I said, smiling in a way that was bordering on hysterical, "The authorities are just borrowing it . . . for research!"

"Sure." Mr Kelly looked down at his clipboard. "Well since you haven't returned the doll to me the way I gave it to you, I'm afraid I can't grade your project. I'm sorry but you both get an F."

My eyes widened at his words. "But Mr Kelly-"

"No buts Wynter," He said, cutting me off. "The baby isn't how I gave him to you. That's an automatic F."

I had to tuck my lips to get myself from letting out a scream that was raging to come out. I could see Declan looking at me from the corner of my eye but I knew if I looked at him I'd probably burst into tears right in front of the class.

      "Mr Kelly," Declan suddenly interrupted. "It wasn't Wynter's fault the baby head came off. If anything he's the only one that was putting in any work."

       "Declan what are you doing?" I nudged him, but he completely ignored and continued to talk.

      "If anyone deserves an A it's him. He was the one staying up late nights with Bartholomew, he feed him, and was overall the main caretaker. He doesn't deserve to fail because I was careless and made a mistake."