six

so because of @TheNameIsZeth i now have a badass cover for this book. special thanks to her, she's awesome!

The night seemed to fly by me. Well the three hours of laying in bed, holding onto a sleeping Madison in fear of my emotions exploding. The sun was already about to rise when she fell asleep, and although it took a while for me to muster up the courage to let go and start the day, exhausted and overwhelmed, it had felt only like five minutes.

Thoughts had ran through my mind at a million miles per minute. My mind wrote fantasies and poems and songs involuntarily. So involuntarily to the point where I couldn't tell if I was dreaming, or if I was just thinking all of it up. I really needed to refill my prescription of adderall.

It was 2 pm when Madison finally woke up. I was swimming in the pool and had the house all to myself because Luke and Sierra had went to lunch with her parents. I had met the two very nice people one time because Sierra considered me her 'sister' and wanted to introduce her parents to their new kid.

The pool was warm today. The water felt non-existent as I floated in the middle of the deep end, holding my breath and watching the waves ripple above me in the golden sunlight. I thought about everything that had happened last night and the things Jack had said. Did Madison believe him? Did she believe the truth?

I moved my hands in front of me, seeing the light pruning on my fingertips as my hair floated around me. I would have to get out in a few minutes so my skin wouldn't crack, but I wanted to stay in for a bit longer. With the lack of air, and the feeling of weightlessness, I was able to just let go. For a time that was.

My lungs started to slightly burn from not having oxygen and I saw a shadow pass along the pool floor. I looked up, making out Madison's blurred figure watching me above the water. I let out a breath, watching as the air blew out in large bubbles and travelled to the surface, before swimming to it myself.

I grabbed the edges of the pool and pulled my head out of the water, shaking my head slightly so the droplets would get away from my eyes. I blinked a few times before meeting Madison's happy eyes. They seemed to have an unrecognizable look as her eyes racked over my wet body but I didn't pay any mind to it.

"Wow, look who's finally up. Good morning." I teased, pulling myself onto the pool's edge and sitting down while I grabbed a towel off of the cabinet. She smacked her lips as I wrapped the towel around my shoulders.

"Psh, if you even want to call it that." She sat down and splashed her feet in the water next to me.

"What happens if you're a morning person, but you end up waking up in the afternoon? What does that make you?"

"Lazy." She laughed, rolling her eyes. "Hungover."

"Ah." I ran a hand through my wet hair and watched as Madison's tired eyes, unfocused on everything around her, fell into deep thought.

I bit my lip and looked at my hands, fiddling with them in my lap. I couldn't help but appreciate the way the blue sky accented her dark features. The sun making her dark hair glow, and her cute freckles shining. She looked like an angel, but the way her eyes gazed out across my backyard, she seemed fallen.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly, causing her to look at me for a second before going back to the backyard.

"I think so." She took in a deep breath and looked down at her swinging submerged in water. "I know who he is now, and what he is. I thought—no he claimed that everything was a phase and he blamed it on the drinking and the dark part of his life he was in, but deep down I knew better. I guess I was still trying to grasp at the surface, thinking that kind, caring guy I had first met was still there, when really, it was all an act." I found my own self watching my backyard. Studying how the leaves on the trees hung a certain way, and fluttered when the wind breezed through them. How the grass followed suit and would occasionally twitch.