twenty two

Thursday came too quickly. We had only been staying with Tracie and Ryder for a few days, but I already felt as if I was a part of their family. The similarities between Tracie and Madison were spot on, I could point out every little nervous habit Tracie had, and give you an instance when Madison did the same thing. I noticed exactly where Madison's compassionate, empathetic side came from, and also saw it in Ryder.

We spent all of our time together, Tracie and Ryder brought us to various hotspots around town. We went fishing, caught a movie, went to the annual harvest fair that just happened to be open during the Thanksgiving week. I was able to get some of the ice cream from that shop Madison told me about, and understood where the hype came from. My poison of choice was superman ice cream, which blew my mind.

Madison was right when she said Tracie didn't allow drinking during holidays, but that only applied when we were in the house. Our second night, Tracie took Madison and I out to a bar while Ryder had to sulk at home, and where she destroyed me at some local bar game that entailed taking many shots and getting very drunk.

I had even started helping Ryder with his own music. I showed him some of my work and the software I used on my laptop, and helped him set up a decent start for himself. He was a good kid, and I had a lot of fun hanging out with him. He reminded me of Luke with his dark humor.

Not to mention the fact that Bates was completely in love with Tracie. She let him sleep in her room; in her bed, walked him every morning and had given him a bath in their jetted tub. I wouldn't doubt that Bates would've stayed with her forever if I had offered. Tracie even made sure to make enough food for dinner every night so that there was always a plate for the dog.

So there I was, pouring gravy onto some shredded, dark meat turkey beside a dollop of mashed-potatoes and corn so Bates could be included in our Thanksgiving celebration. I put the spoon back in the pot and brought it over to the table, stooping down and placing it on the floor for the little dog. He came rushing over and attacked the food while I softly patted his head.

"This looks amazing, Tracie," I complimented, grabbing my own plate and bringing it over to my spot at the dinner table.

"It does, mom. I've never seen such a spread at this table," Madison touched my arm as I sat down next to her, across from Ryder. It was only the four of us eating because Madison wanted it to be an intimate affair—and also because she explained her extended family had very large mouths and would most likely inform the town that two superstars were staying on Romwen Blvd.

"Well I've had some time for myself since you moved away and Ryder started doing god-knows-what. I signed up for that master class Gordon Ramsay did," she explained, putting a scoop of salad on her plate before passing the bowl to Ryder.

"It's online. She likes to let people think she's met him," Ryder said, getting his own salad before passing the bowl to me. Madison laughed at him and Tracie just rolled her eyes. Just like Madison did.

"You sure cook like him," I added, placing my salad next to my potatoes and sliding it to Madison. "That's reason enough to flaunt it."

Tracie tutted and sent Ryder a smug look.

"Don't be fooled. I've never seen her cook this way."

"Because I specialize in desserts!" Tracie defended herself happily. "My first kid's home from a thousand miles away, I have to show her what she's missing."

"Your favorite kid," Madison coughed, correcting her mom. Tracie deadpanned at her while Ryder flicked her off.

"Ryder, not at the dinner table," Tracie grabbed his hand and Madison stuck her tongue out at him.