twenty four

I looked out across the backyard and pulled my jacket closer to my body. The temperature had dropped by ten degrees since the time we arrived, and another wave of pretty snowflakes sprinkled around me. Bates and Abby were sitting next to each other, gazing at the thick forest that bordered the grass. There were little paw prints in the white layers that zig-zagged throughout the yard. I bit my lip and watched my breath turn icy when I exhaled, desperately trying to find a distraction from the tension between me and the girl that had been talking to my mom for the last ten minutes.

It started when we first fought before the plane ride here: the uncomfortableness that we were able to ignore or push away for the time being. It grew worse every time David called or Madison tried to get me to talk to her. I didn't know if I was the reason that we were slowly growing hostile, whether it was my jealousy or not. Maybe I had ignored it for too long and ended up digging my own grave. Maybe I was overreacting. All I knew was that I had a bad feeling about David and was suspicious about Madison and Sierra becoming so distant all of a sudden.

I shoved my hands in my pants and looked down, lifting one foot at a time to get a look at the outline of my shoe where the snow didn't fall. I eventually turned and walked back towards the house. There was no use in putting it off. I knew that sooner or later Madison and I would fight again and I had no idea what would come of it.

I tried to close the back door as softly as I could, the window drapes bumped against it. I wasn't wrong in expecting a cold shoulder from my girlfriend as I stepped into the room, taking my place at the counter island. Madison was listening intently as my mom went over the politics and drama between her and the neighbors, and how although they liked to talk badly about her, she had appointments with almost all of them.

I gratefully accepted the cup of tequila and ice my mom poured me, and listened quietly while she talked. Her voice was soothing, and made me feel a lot better from the mixed emotions that kept me unsettled. I had always loved the sound of her New York accent, especially since I lost mine after living in California for so long.

She went into great detail on Lea Thompson, Zoey's mother, and her husband, who were the wealthiest couple in upper Northeast New York, and how they were the most 'motivated' to buy her house. I knew the story well because the feud began even before I was born.

"It seems I'm declining offers monthly. At first it was only every so often, but now those Thompsons really can't get a hint. They think I'm getting old, but if anything, they're robbing the grave. I'm not going under until those sneaky Thompson hands are buried first." My mom said, turning the stove on.

"You're not old, mom, you're hardly 46." I sipped from my cup, clenching my jaw as the cold liquid burned.

"Twenty years too old," she chuckled. "I was going to order pizza from that place you always liked, Y/N, but I figure some chili might do ya good."

I smiled and shook my hand when she looked at me, letting her know I was fine with it.

"You're having a few bowls too, you're too skinny."

"Why are the Thompsons so obsessed with this house?" Madison asked, leaning against the counter across from me to create space between us. "I mean, besides how beautiful it is."

"Y/N's grandfather, James Sr. built this place in 1945. It was for his girlfriend at the time, Barbara. That nightmare lasted only until he caught her screwing his coworker, Cliff Thompson, and decided that the house now belonged to him, his new boo—or whatever you kids call it these days—and their baby on the way. Barbara was angry, but was determined that she was owed the Y/LN house. You should've seen the old hag's face when Jim bought the house from James Sr. for me. It's still fresh in my mind," my mom laughed maniacally. I downed the rest of my drink and froze, hoping Madison wouldn't ask about Jim/James jr.—my father.