twenty seven

"It's breathing."

"I sure hope you're breathing."

"No not me—it."

"Okay, what is 'it?'"

"That wall," I pointed towards the wall in front of me. "and that one." I shifted my finger towards the wall to my right. "Also that one." I gestured to the ceiling.

"I don't think they're breathing." Madison yawned, resting her head back on my shoulder and tightening her grip around my waist.

We were on the couch in the living room. She was on my lap with a fuzzy blanket hung over us while the lights faded in between different colors of the spectrum.

Luke and Sierra were outside by the pool with a handful of joints and a couple of beers but I wanted to stay with Madison until she decided to go to bed.

"So why are they moving? And why is it so windy in here? The wall is breathing." I questioned, raising my eyebrows. She giggled into my neck.

"Maybe you're just breathing too heavily," she offered teasingly. "Try breathing through your nose."

I closed my mouth and breathed deeply through my nose. My nostrils felt heavy and sent a wave of euphoria through my face when I moved them. I flared them a few times and tried to look at them, crossing my eyes a little too hard. I was so focused on my nose that I didn't realize my jaw had dropped open in concentration.

"Good try," Madison used her finger to close my mouth. When I looked down at her, I surprised myself because I was taken aback by her beauty. I knew it was just the acid making everything extremely attractive but I didn't care. She was glowing, a soft outline of orange along her features.

It wasn't that Madison wasn't attractive when I was sober, but when I wasn't tripping, the gold in Madison's eyes wouldn't explode like fireworks. Her lips wouldn't grow and shrink at the same time. I felt my tongue run across my own lips, imagining them doing the same thing before catching a glimpse of the little firework sparks leaving her eyes and floating off into air around her head.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She questioned with a smirk, slightly pulling me back to reality.

"You didn't tell me it was the 4th of July."

"Y/N, it's November. We literally just got back from thanksgiving."

"So we're being lied to? It should be the 4th of November."

"No one is lying to us. We seceded from England in July, not November." She laughed, running her finger down the side of my face.

I squinted my eyes when I realized that and frowned when the fireworks stopped and her eyes went back to normal.

"I guess you're right," I sighed and let my head fall onto the back of the couch. "Acid makes me feel crazy."

"You're already crazy, baby, maybe the acid just makes it clearer for ya." She kissed my neck softly, making me shudder underneath her. When her teeth dug into my skin and it was quite obvious she was leaving a mark, I winced and breathed through my teeth.

"There are plenty of other methods of drinking blood, I can pick up some bags from the hospital if you're really thirsty," I offered, making her laugh loudly.

"I always want to kiss you."

"You're biting me."

"You're shutting up," she silenced me by pressing our lips together. She hummed softly when I squeezed her thigh and I felt my core heat up a bit because of it. But then she pulled away and kissed my forehead which made me groan.