eighteen

"Y/N!"

I was cut off mid-sentence, ending the philosophical conversation I was just having with Ashton Irwin. The Aussie stared at me quizzically and I returned it, looking around us to see who had said my name.

It was very loud. The music was almost deafening and to top it off, the house was full of hundreds of drunk idiots, rubbing together and singing at the top of their lungs.

It also didn't help that the dim lights were sparkling, flying around my head like glitter. I could hear everything, but at the same time couldn't, and each face that passed grew darker and darker as my tunnel vision peaked and fell like the tides.

"Did you hear that?" I asked Ashton, having to lean forward and speak in his ear so he could hear me. For a second I wondered if I had asked it in an English accent.

I began to doubt that I heard it at all and wondered whether it was my soaring imagination. I wouldn't have paid it any mind normally, being that I had heard many weird things for past hour that turned out to be nothing, but it sounded desperate.

Yet Ashton nodded his head and pointed behind me.

"Y/N!"

I turned around and saw Ariana pushing herself through the crowd of dancing people. She was breathing heavily and had ditched her Egyptian headdress, leaving her in a sweaty kalasiris (Egyptian dress).

"Oh thank God, I thought I was going crazy," I let out a long sigh and waited patiently while Ari caught her breath.

"You need to come outside."

"Okay."

"No, I need you out there. Luke, he—" she stopped and stood up, looking at me weirdly. "Wait, you said okay?"

"Yeah, let's go. What's up with Luke?"

"You too? Seriously, Y/N? Am I the only one not tripping right now?" Ariana groaned. I laughed out loud, heartily. Ashton patted her on the shoulder, holding his solo cup out so he wouldn't spill on her.

"Don't trip about it, Grande," He said, making me laugh even harder because of his pun. "I'm not either."

"No, Ashton prefers the stimulants," I winked at her. Ashton may not have been on acid, but he had popped a few purple audi's and was rolling just as much as I was. Ari rolled her eyes.

"Shut the fuck up and come outside. Luke is on the damn roof!" She grabbed my arm and pulled me aggressively, through the crowd of people and into the colorful fog.

"How did he get up there?" I asked curiously, but she just ignored me.

It was dense in the house, stuffy and full of hot air. When we made it outside I was hit with a nice breeze that swept through my shirt, making it flow around me. There was a lot of people out here too that cluttered in groups either talking, dancing or both.

Ariana led me towards a group standing closer to the house. I recognized Madison and Sierra who were near David and a few of his friends. They were all pointing towards the roof where Luke stood on the edge, singing some song he was making up on the spot.

"Luke!" I yelled to him, having a hard time controlling my laughter and gaining everyone's attention as I joined. "What the fuck are you doing up there?" The group made a circle around me while Madison and Sierra joined me in the middle. I noticed a flash and had to put my hand up so I wouldn't be blinded by David's video camera.

"I'm embarking on my solo career, mate! Come dance with me! Oh the agony!" He sang, twirling. "I've been without the sea for so long! Tell me, moon, where are your spies? They've cast me to this evil eye!"