Love?

Lake Worth, 10th Avenue Bus Stop: 5:25 PM

Getting off the bus near the corner of 10th Avenue and Military Patty was in a good mood. As she walked up to the light Little C came running from the little plaza on the corner there.

"Hey, Patty, give me some money."

"No." Patty said as she waited for the light to change.

"I hear Water Jim is sleeping with little girls now." Little C told her. "Jose is looking for his Gatita Sexa. If you give me some money I won't tell him that Jim's been banging her on the side."

"I don't know what you are talking about C. Don't let Jim hear you talking like that." Patty started to walk across the street keeping a sharp eye on the cars. Pedestrians who weren't careful got run over.

C. followed Patty across the street. "Don't matter what you think. Jim was asking questions about that Kitty girl that's gone missing. All I got to do is tell my cousin, he works for Jose, and Water Jim won't be selling water anymore, he'll be floating in it."

"Your cousin isn't stupid. Where would Jim hide Kitty? We all know what happens to these girls when they run from Jose, they get found and Jose hurts them pretty bad." Patty told C. "Those girls are too afraid to run from him. Go tell your cousin your load of shit, he'll know you are lying."

"I'm not stupid either. Jose will have Andy cut up your face and kill fucking Water Jim. I know you've got her." Little C. called out to Patty as she walked away.

Patty answered by extending her arm and giving Little C. the finger with out even bothering to look behind her.

Green Acres, Camp: 5:45 PM

Jim had already gave Kitty some supper before Patty arrived at the camp. Kitty was on her second helping when Patty came up the stairs. Jim had eaten with Kitty. Jim stood and scraped some of the canned meat and potatoes onto Patty's plate. Patty sat her guitar down at the foot of the stairs.

"You got to put your stuff away in the bedroom." Kitty told Patty. "Jim told me that was the rule."

Jim laughed. "I guess the rules have to apply to everyone."

Patty gave Jim a puzzled look. "I'll explain later." Jim told her.

Going into her bedroom Patty placed her guitar down. The tuning knobs at the top were cracked. Varnish was worn off the body of the guitar. The neck was cracked. Patty had found it in a dumpster. It had given Patty the idea of making money by singing.

Kitty had left the guitar she found on Patty's bed. At the foot of the bed was sheet music, guitar manuals. Beginner's instruction manual lay with the guitar. Along with a box of guitar strings and picks. Patty lay her ragged guitar beside her bed. She picked up the Gibson guitar. It was beautiful. She didn't know how old it was, but she was sure it was old.

"Where did you find this?" Patty came out of the bedroom holding the guitar. "It makes me wish I knew how to actually play a guitar."

"I found it in the closet." Kitty said. "All the way in the back."

"Thank you for putting it on my bed. I noticed the beginner's manual. After I finish eating I hope you will help me practice." Patty brought the guitar back into the bedroom.

Green Acres, Camp: 6:27 PM

Jim sat in the leather recliner in the main room. He had a book in his hand, but he wasn't reading. He was thinking. Jim could hear Patty and Kitty talking in the small bedroom. It was hard to believe that this was only Kitty's first day in the camp. The two had known each other for a while. In the last three or four months Patty had been trying to do what she could for Kitty. He imagined that the two of them had formed a bond as a result.