Guilt and Harassment

Green Acres, Camp: 9:15 PM

Key couldn't sleep. Not with the noise from the other room. Key would have pounded on the wall. Telling them to keep it down. She didn't want to embarrass Patty or inhibit Jim. She heard Patty giggling like some Casa Sombrio kids screwing around in the dark common room.

Where had Terri gone? Key thought she had been killed by Andy. Only she didn't know. Had Terri abandoned her? If she had, why had Key been beaten and raped the night Terri had disappeared. No one had told Key why she had been punished. No one had asked where Terri had disappeared to. They had known. They had killed her. That was why.

Confused, scared, fucked up shit. How could Key be cleansed by some rain? How could she be free of the bad things she did by howling in the rain. What was wrong with her. Key cried softly. She wasn't Key after all. She was just fucked up crazy to think that standing in the rain would make her clean again. What about the kids she had done it with. She had scarred them too. Like Key had been scarred by what was done to her. Key had cried softly. Until sleep was merciful to her. Letting her slip into the world of dreams.

Green Acres, Camp: 9:45 PM

The dog paced outside of the building. Growling. Key stood watching him from the window inside. Terri stood beside her. Was this a dream? It wasn't like the other dreams. Why was she here?

This wasn't a dream about Casa Sombrio or where she lived with Mommy. Winnie. Neither of them were in the dream.

The dog/wolf walked inside the building. Still growling. It's fur standing up on it's neck. It was clearly agitated. "Stupid girl. Don't undo what you did today by dwelling on regrets. You must save yourself before you can save others."

"What are you talking about. What am I supposed to have done to save myself. How can I save those people I hurt through my own ignorance."

"You let go of the guilt you felt about what you had become." The wolf said. "I am the Coyote. I am the One. I tell you, do not feel guilt over what you have done. Feel pride in what you can do."

Key woke up. Feeling guilty about what she had done with other kids. Key realized that it was all part of what had been happening around them. There was no reason to feel guilty about it. How were they supposed to know what was right and wrong under the circumstances that they were in.

Greenacres, November 25th: 7:45 AM

Despite a rather active night, both of the adults were up early the next morning. Patty woke Key up so that she could eat breakfast. After that the teenager dragged herself back into bed. Jim commented that all the girl seemed to do was eat and sleep.

"She has been through a lot. I think her body and mind need both food and sleep." Patty said as she was gathering her things to take the bus to the Lost Tea Shop.

Jim was cleaning up. He had let Patty cook a simple meal of potatoes and hash. Jim and Patty had insisted that Key set the table. She was sluggish, a little resentful about working so early in the morning. She was less happy that Jim stated that she would have some school work and should practice the guitar every day.

After Patty had left Jim put together a school work assignment for Key. He had taken one of the history books from the shelves in his bedroom. Jim told her to study the book and write down an essay on one of the historical subjects in the book. He also set up twenty math problems for Key to work on. Last of all Jim opened the Giant Book of Knowledge, dated 1958, and turned it to a page that depicted exercises. He didn't know if Key would do them, but even if they were sixty years old, the exercises would be good for Key.

He set the books on the kitchen table and left a note for Key to do the work today. Jim got his cooler bag and filled it with water bottles. With a full bag Jim walked down Cresthaven towards Fresco. He was carrying his knife with him. Jim wasn't worried about C. who emerged from the canal ditch that ran parallel to the high School.

Greenacres, Haverhill Road: 8:12 AM

C. crossed the street and began to examine the wooded lot where he was sure that both Jim and Patty had come from. If he could find their camp he might be able to find something he could sell. If Kitty wasn't in the camp, he might get a lead as to where she was. C. began to search the lot carefully.

Lake Worth, Lost Tea Shop: 11:12 AM

Patty was playing her guitar in her usual spot outside the Lost Tea Shop. None of the customers sitting outside complained about Patty's playing or singing. They tipped her generously. Stacey was happy to have her attracting customers outside. Patty had offered a portion of her tips to Stacey, but she refused to accept any.

Someone from the sidewalk yelled 'get a real job'. Everyone looked over to see a single old man standing there. Hands in his pockets. Patty held her temper. Continued playing. She recognized the old man from the park. A smug little bastard who could be simply described as old. Seventy to ninety years old. Who knew. He wore old people clothes. A stupid hat. He glared at the crowd with disdain as he walked past 'The Lost Tea Shop'.

After that the Sheriff car stopped outside the shop. A deputy approached Patty. Stacey was out of the shop in a heartbeat before the Sheriff stepped out of the car.

"Can I help you officer?" Stacey said with a smile.

"There was a call concerning a threat from Patty over there." This Deputy knew Patty. She didn't know his name, but she recognized him too.

"Patty didn't threaten anyone. I would know. In fact, the customers told me some old man had walked by and insulted her." Stacey said calmly.

Patty had stopped playing. The customers were staring at the confrontation. Which was what it was about to become.

"Patty should vacate the premises." The Deputy said. "She can't beg here."

"Patty doesn't beg for anything." Stacey said firmly. "She plays here with my permission. People give her tips. She does not need to vacate the premises, because I own the premises and say she can play here."

"It's your business license if she does anything illegal." The Deputy said. "You should go Patty if you want to help your friend."

"Deputy, you are close to having harassment charges slapped on your ass." Stacey was angry now. "Don't you go anywhere Patty."

Another Deputy Sheriff pulled up. Backup? The Sheriff Deputy stepped out of the car. He met up with the first Deputy and the two of them conferred. Patty was already preparing to leave the property. She didn't want Stacey to get in trouble. Patty needed a fix, really badly right now.

"I'm going to go, Stacey. I'll come back later." Patty said as they watched the two Deputies confer. "I don't want you getting in trouble over me. We'll see if it blows over tomorrow."

"Alright, Patty, but you come back tomorrow. I want you playing at my place. I don't want you snatched up by competitors." Stacey smiled at Patty and winked.

"I'll be back, I promise."

Patty needed a fix so badly that she didn't know if she could make it back to the camp without one. Patty wished she could go back to the Lost Tea Shop and stay there until this need passed. It would after a while. If she could have gone to the park and stare out at the Intercoastal Waterway Patty would have. She was afraid the authorities would run her off from there too.

It would have been so easy to walk down Lakeworth Road and score some crack. Patty made it to the bus stop. She picked one as far from Lake Worth Road as possible. Once Patty got on the bus with her guitar Patty breathed a sigh of relief. The need for crack passed as Patty sat in one of the front seat of the bus and chatted with the driver. By the time Patty got off the bus the need was gone.