Things Fall Apart

Cresthaven, Bus Stop, Route 61: 6:40 PM

Patty took the 61 Route bus all the way to Cresthaven. She went down Cresthaven until she had gone past Haverhill by a few blocks. Patty had lost her earlier nausea. This had been followed by paranoia that someone on the bus would recognized her being high. Digging into her purse Patty had dug out her sunglasses to hide her eyes. She stepped off the bus and looked around.

Patty knew she was high. She had touched the drug she thought was crack, it had to be something else. Patty had a slight euphoria, but that was canceled by guilt and paranoia. All she could do was stumble home and hope Key didn't see her this way.

No one was around as Patty stepped off the bus. With evening coming on Patty looked a little out of place with her sunglasses on. Patty was jittery now, although otherwise stable on her feet. If she could make it home. Then what? Have Jim and Kitty see her like this?

No, not Kitty anymore, Keyote. Patty pulled herself up as straight as possible. She felt so hot. It was tempting to take off her clothes in this heat. No, the drugs were doing this. There was a cool breeze. As the sun went down it would be cooler. Patty told herself to keep her composure until she could get home.

Green Acres, Camp 7:00 PM

"Sun has gone down." Jim commented idly.

Jim had waited until the sun had begun to set before he finally made some PBJs for Keyote and himself. Keyote seemed to love PBJs, so he had no problems with fixing them in ley of a full supper.

"She shouldn't be this late." Keyote said between mouthfuls of her sandwich.

"I'm worried she might have run into more trouble." Jim said. Not voicing his real fear.

Since Patty had mentioned her urge for a hit of crack Jim had been worried she would make a trip to Lake Worth Corridor. That would be one reason that she might not have come back. The other reason that Jim felt was just as likely, was that Patty had run into Little C. or one of the Guardia. In some ways that might be worse.

"Will you be alright here while I go out and look for Patty?" Jim asked.

"Of course." Keyote said. "I'm all grown up, I won't be scared."

"I'm going. You stay here until I come back, if Patty comes you keep her here." Jim said.

Green Acres, Camp: 7:10 PM

Jim didn't have to go far. Patty was sitting in the courtyard. On a folding metal chair that they left out there. Jim knew from her actions Patty was high on something. Seeing Jim Patty got up and made for the door. Only Jim was in the way.

"Don't fuck with me, Jim." Patty said. "I'm not in the mood for your preachy shit."

"You aren't going in there like this." Jim told her. "Key doesn't need to see you like this."

"She's seen me like this before." Patty tried to push Jim aside. It was like pushing on a wall.

"Not recently she hasn't. You have become her surrogate mother. It would break her heart to know you slipped up."

"Well it's time she learned that nobody is perfect. I didn't ask her to worship me."

Clouds gathered in the sky. Neither Patty nor Jim paid attention to them.