Intruder

2:00 PM West Palm Beach, 45th Street Facility

Carlos was disgusted with his cousin. They called him Little C.. The C. standing for Carlos as well. He promised both of their Mothers that he would visit Little C. at the mental facility on 45th Street. It was the drugs that had done this. Carlos always knew that Little C. was weak. Carlos had told both of their Mothers that Little C. was a lost cause. Little C.'s family still held onto some hope that this latest bad trip would be the changing point.

"I always heard that Water Jim was a brujo, but I never believed it 'til now." Little C. had told his older cousin. "He's got spirits that guard his camp. I tried to get in there twice. The first time the ants attacked me. This time it was spiders. There was this perro, he spoke and walked on two legs. A muchacha huesa to that lived in the canal."

"Muchacha Huesa?" Carlos said. "A bone woman? You mean a skeleton?"

"Yeah, only it sounded like a woman."

Hell, Casa Sombrio: 3:19 PM

Carlos met with Jorge and Andy at the Casa Sombrio. They all sat down in the main guard room. Carlos told them of his conversation with Little C. Andy rolled his eyes when Carlos told him that Little C. thought Water Jim was a brujo. He laughed when Carlos mentioned the dog and the Muchacha Huesa. Jorge simply sat and listened. He knew better than to laugh off a brujo.

"If Water Jim is this mighty brujo why does he sell water on the streets. Why not cast a spell to get his money." Andy said. "Why haven't his spirits used their powers to get him money."

"Maybe it doesn't work that way." Jorge spoke up. "This is the second time that Little C. has tried to get into that camp. First he was attacked by the fire ants. The second time he is attacked by poisonous spiders. Then he claims to have seen these two spirits. It's strange."

"I'll go out there and check that camp for you." Carlos said.

"Why?" Andy said.

"I think it might be a smart career move." Carlos smiled.

Andy nodded his head and smiled back. "You get Kitty back for us, it will be."

Green Acres, Corner of Haverhill and 10th: 3:55 PM

Carlos was parked in an empty lot about a block from the overgrown lot that his cousin said was the location of Water Jim's camp. Carlos got out of his black pick-up and walked down the sidewalk until he reached the canal. He turned onto the dirt road and followed it until he found the path that led into the camp. Carlos made his way back to the gate that had been cut open. Carlos kept an eye out for spiders and ants, but he found neither.

Carlos came out into the courtyard to see a large angry dog standing in the middle of it. Little C. had got that part right. The dog charged at Carlos. Carlos pulled his automatic pistol and shot at the dog as it charged. It didn't even slow the dog down. The dog clamped down on Carlos' arm before he got another shot off. Carlos heard the bones break. Once the dog clamped down he shook the arm like it was a play toy.

Punching the dog in the snout caused it to let go of Carlos' arm. Carlos charged back through the fence while the dog followed him out towards the canal. It stopped chasing Carlos once he left the path to the dirt road. Carlos made his way back to the pick-up. He was in severe pain. The lower part of his arm bone was splintered. The flesh had deep jagged cuts where the teeth had bitten deeply into Carlos's arm. He had dropped the automatic in the courtyard.

Coyote walked back to the courtyard. He licked up the blood from the stranger. He picked up the gun from the stranger in his mouth and carried it to his lair on the other side of the house. There would be no sign of the trespass of the stranger. Nothing to worry the little family that lived here.

As Carlos drove with one arm to JFK Hospital emergency room he thought about his story. What he would tell the staff at the hospital and possibly the cops if they were called. Carlos would tell a portion of the truth. That he was going down the canal road when he encountered the dog. He was just checking out the overgrown lot next door when the dog came running from the trees and attacked him.

Palm Springs, Fresco: 4:11 PM

Jim had met the two girls at the bus stop at Fresco. There had been no unusual incidents this time. Jim was glad, perhaps the man Keyote had called Grandpa had decided not to go on harassing Patty knowing that Keyote knew who he was.

Patty had been able to sing and play with Keyote. This earned them better tips. Jim was happy to see that the slip that Patty had made a couple of days ago wouldn't create a rift between them. Patty seemed healthy enough. It was impossible to tell that she had nearly died two days ago. Jim was sorry that tonight he would have to bring up finding Key's relatives.

Jim was the first to notice the blood on the sidewalk that went off towards 10th. It wasn't his business. Until he saw more on the dirt road leading up to the path that led to camp. He had the girls wait by the canal as he went down the path. Jim was relieved that the blood stopped at the fence line.

"It looks like someone got as far as the fence." Jim told the girls. "The blood trail stops at the fence. There is none in the courtyard."

"Little C.?" Patty asked.

"Don't know, but whoever it was, they cut themselves badly on the fence, they may not come back." Jim said.

"Maybe we should lock the place up." Patty suggested.

"I'll get to it tomorrow." Jim said.