Solitary Crow Flies South

December 19: Palm Beach International Airport, 8:00 AM Eastern Standard Time

Despite her namesake, Solitary Crow hadn't flown for years. Since 9/11 the experience had changed to the point that Crow was ready to rent a car and drive down to Florida. Joe had convinced Crow that it was quicker to fly. They had to move quickly in case the situation changed and this Patty and other Keyote moved on.

Sophia liked her Sioux name of Solitary Crow. It described her well. Crow traveled the Thornbrush Reservation looking for shiny objects to line her nest. To use in her creations. Jewelry, statues, vases, boxes, whatever she decided that the pieces could create. That was why Crow valued her solitude, so she could create in peace. If someone dared to violate that solitude they heard Crow squawk at them until they left. Crow was surprised her name hadn't been Noisy Solitary Crow.

Mai wouldn't have Crow take a public flight. Knowing that the contrary middle-aged woman would never make it to the plane without getting into a shouting match with airport security. Crow would have little patience and would be quite vocal with the wrong people. For that reason Mai had arranged for Crow to take a private jet. Something Crow appreciated.

It also allowed Crow to take her Father's military issue Browning 9mm. Crow had grown up on the Thornbrush Reservation. Her Father had taken her to hunt often. She knew how to fire rifles, pistols, shotguns, and automatic weapons. Her Father's old military piece was her favorite. It took an extended fifteen shot clip. She had stuck it into her rolling suitcase and there was no baggage check for private flights like hers. Crow had taken the weapon just in case, better to be ready for anything.

Crow had arrived at a small airport that had just recently started taking private jets. A Chang Ching Company Car waited for her. A SUV black standard with the snake-like green dragon that was the Chang Ching Company symbol on it's front doors. A Taiwan National Flag sticker was on the back window. Chinese symbols under the dragon logo spelled the company name.

A chauffeur in a black uniform opened the back hatch so that Crow could put her suitcase into the back. The door open and closed automatically. That irritated Crow. The Chauffeur wanted her to sit in the back, Crow insisted on driving. Until she looked at the confusing mass of buttons and other nonsense that people put in these kinds of vehicles. She slid over to the passenger seat so that the chauffeur could drive.

It was apparent that Florida was very different from South Dakota. It was a swamp. Hot and humid. Coming from cold and dry South Dakota to this climate was already causing Crow to sneeze. She'd have to dig into her medicines when she got to the hotel.

Lake Worth, Car lot on the corner of Military and 10th: 10:15 AM

A dark skinned, middle-aged, woman walked onto the car lot. She picked the oldest, most beat up vehicle on the lot. Jim watched a salesman make a bee-line to the woman who was dressed in worn jeans, a brightly colored purple shirt and a buckskin, beaded jacket. Her hair was pulled into a long, tight braid that fell just short of her ass.

Jim watched the woman wave off the salesman, who didn't take the visual cue as usual.

"I'll let you know when I need you." The woman had a harsh voice. She sounded irritated.

This didn't make the salesman happy. He went back to his air-conditioned office. Jim watched the woman examine the old Jeep. The canvas top was rotting, the paint was worn to the primer. All of the tires were new, though there were no hubcaps. Inside the seats were sun-baked, cracked and sealed with duct tape. Jim knew that the engine was rebuilt, it was like new.